• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Has anyone here had any post-surgical complictions after a bowel resection?

Tami Lynn

Forum Angel
:sign0085:

Ok, so my 20-year-old daughter underwent her first open bowel resection for Crohn's disease one month ago yesterday.

She hasn't really be taking it quite as easy as she should be since she got released from the hospital a little over three weeks ago (ie: vacuuming, lifting things, not resting like she should etc)

Today she called me to inform me that she was hit with pain in her abdomen that sort of radiated into her back and that it happened suddenly.

She called her surgeon and he sent her to the E.R. where she is right now. Since she got to the hospital she is also complaining of nausea.

I was just wondering if anyone on this forum has experienced similar symptoms or other serious complications shortly after surgery and what your experiences were.

I'm sure the doctors are going to try their best to find out what is causing her sudden pain, but I'd really like to know what we might be dealing with in advance and here from others who have actually experienced this sort of thing personally.

I'm looking forward to reading the replies and would like to thank everyone in advance for reading this post and for the responses.

imisspopcorn

Punctuation Impaired
I'm sorry Tami....Is she having any fevers??? I bounced back and was doing things I probably shouldn't have after my resection. It's hard to take it easy when you're finally feeling better. I'm sure it's nothing she did to cause this. I'm praying for good news. Keep us posted.

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Hi Tami, yes, I have had two surgeries my first was perfectly normal but my second was a nightmare. I was told only 2% of the surgeons patients get infected. Well I was infected and was showing on the huge incision and doctor didnt believe it was possible and the VON nurse took a swab and sent it and when I saw him a week later. I know my body and I was having pus ooze out and told him I need Cipro and Flagyl and is a believer in self healing. Well I wasnt healing and he gave me a scrip for alot of antiobiotics and basically said dont come back. My first surgery was a breeze and wished I got it done but the same surgeon. When you have the surgery, it takes a while to heal on the inside and dont rest enough. Your daughter could have a minor set back with infection, not uncommon, best to have a test done or blood work to see if she is infected. Good luck, dont worry, she will be ok, just needs the right meds. let us know how she does.

Hi Tammi,

I feel bad to hear that your daughter is having complications. I had a resection surgery and had complications. Everything was supposed to go smoothly as they told me it would be but it was not. I went in for the resection and woke up after and the surgeon said that it went well and the illeum was very narrow and strictured. They took a couple feet of my ileum and a small section of my large intestine where it is connected to the ileum. A few days went by but fevers would not go down. They also said by now that air should have passed and it was not. When the fever went to 104 they took an xray and found free air. They told me that they needed to do emergency surgery and close where the air was leaking. They said no time for second opinions and took me right down. I was on so many medications before the surgery they said it probably weakened my intestines so much that I was having trouble healing properly. At the time they told me if there is no hole you would wake up with no ileostomy but if there is we can try to close it but if not we have to put a temporary ileostomy in place. This was all in an instance of panic from the doctors wheeling me down to the operating room and telling me this while I was heavily medicated and out of it. They had me sign the paper knowing my psychological state under that kind of medication and started the operation. I was told when I woke up wanting to die from the pain, that there was no hole but they made an ileostomy anyway for now. Then they gave me more medication for the severe pain and I was asleep again. My family and I were outraged and the surgeon said that it would only be there for 2 weeks. I was still in shock and couldnt even look at myself and was depressed beyond imaginable. I was in there for another week and 1/2 and sent home with severe pain and a nurse coming to my home every other day. I just wanted to be back to my old self and was not anywhere near what my personality usually was. The 2 weeks passed and they refused to reverse it. I had an emotional breakdown at that moment when I heard that. They told me another couple weeks. I waited 5 weeks and then was scheduled for the reversal. Doctors thought I was crazy after because they saw me almost suicidal a few weeks before and now I was smiling and joking with the nurses. I went home after 5 days of the reversal. I was walking so much to make everything work again out of nervousness that nurses told me to rest at some points when I was in the hospital. When I went home I thought I was going to recover fine and a few weeks later I developed an abcess at the surgery site. I kicked my surgeon out of the room when I saw her and refused for any more surgeries and it did close on its own.
I am not trying to scare anyone but it was a nightmare for me and no it does not happen a lot but any surgery can come with complications. I am sorry if this was a bit long or maybe to emotional on my part but everytime I think of what happens it brings tears to my eyes and fear that I hope it will never happen again or to anyone else.

Last edited:

farm

Captain Insaneo
After my resection I was trying to do too much and was hit with adom. pain, nausea and vomiting. I was told to slow down and take it easy. I tried to as much as I could but was still hit with waves of nausea and pain.
She really needs to do NOTHING for as long as she can stand it.

Tami Lynn

Forum Angel
Thank you all for sharing your opinions and stories.

Here's the UPDATE on Alyssa: The good news is she's home now. The bad news is she doesn't feel like they thoroughly investigated the problem to find a real answer or solution.

While she was in the E.R. they ran a plain CT scan (no IV and no drinking contrast), ran a blood and urine test, gave her pain and nausea meds and then sent her home with the diagnosis,"Crohn's flare up". Then they told her to follow up with her G.I. doctor. Oh well...at least it wasn't a life or death emergency and she hasn't gotten any worse since she left the hospital.

I can't help but wonder if they rushed her out b/c she doesn't have ANY medical insurance?

Like a coupleof you here have shared, I too had a "nightmare experience" after my last bowel resection in 2002. To make a very long story incredibly short, the incision site got infected, burst (thankfully outward instead of inward) and I had to be re-opened in my hospital bed, ON my birthday, without ANY pain meds whatsoever. *UGH* Then the wound needed to be packed with a wet dressing for like 6-8 weeks afterward and when it finally healed together the incision looked like a friggin butt crack! Sweeeeeeet....huh? Sooooo I was really upset about that, but still thankful to be ALIVE. Now if I feel like mooning someone, I just just lift my shirt and show my wonderful scar! LOL

farm

Captain Insaneo
Most ER docs will say Crohns flare, pain and nausea meds; send em home and refer to GI. I see it all the time.
Alyssa is a beautiful name!! I hope she gets over this quickly!!