• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Has anyone requested a Colostomy?

Hi, I’m new to this forum (any forum actually).

My story shortened is - Diagnosed 2013 and had an emergency resection. Due to the parts taken I now have severe bile salt malabsorption.
I’m on colesevelam (6-8 a day) and Loperamide (6-8) a day. But I am still getting flares every couple of weeks. This particular flare has lasted 3 weeks and I’m going to the toilet up to 15/20 times a day.

I have a one year old and I’m absolutely exhausted and feel as though I can’t risk going out the house and I definitely can’t work until I’m back on track.

Has anyone on here requested (I’m thinking about begging) for a bag?
I know a lot of the cons but I haven’t had a good quality of life for over three years and it seems to have worsened.
All I want is to be able to take my daughter to a park without having to rush off and have major anxiety about not wanting to have an accident (which happens so frequently).

I don’t want to go to my gastro and be laughed out the room and be put on more medication which I just know won’t work, then be back to this same stage in a years time.

Any advise would be appreciated.

[/QUOTE]Hi, I’m new to this forum (any forum actually).

My story shortened is - Diagnosed 2013 and had an emergency resection. Due to the parts taken I now have severe bile salt malabsorption.
I’m on colesevelam (6-8 a day) and Loperamide (6-8) a day. But I am still getting flares every couple of weeks. This particular flare has lasted 3 weeks and I’m going to the toilet up to 15/20 times a day.

I have a one year old and I’m absolutely exhausted and feel as though I can’t risk going out the house and I definitely can’t work until I’m back on track.

Has anyone on here requested (I’m thinking about begging) for a bag?
I know a lot of the cons but I haven’t had a good quality of life for over three years and it seems to have worsened.
All I want is to be able to take my daughter to a park without having to rush off and have major anxiety about not wanting to have an accident (which happens so frequently).

I don’t want to go to my gastro and be laughed out the room and be put on more medication which I just know won’t work, then be back to this same stage in a years time.

Any advise would be appreciated.[/QUOTEIm not sure this would be considered for a colostomy, if you are having flares you need to treat them with the usual steroid and something like azathioprine

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
It doesn't sound like you are on any type of maintenance medication for Crohn's? You should see your doctor, you don't know what will or won't work until you try it. What types of medications have you been on in the past?