• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Has anyone suffered eye inflammation with crohns?

Hi all just wondering if anyone has suffered eye inflammation with crohns?
My eyes have been pretty swollen and irritated for over a week now, I know this can so hand and hand with crohns. Doc treated me for allergic reaction by putting me on antihistamines. They don't seem to be working. Any advice?

Hi Steph, I've had some issues with my left eye due to Crohns. My advice would be to get a referral to an Ophthalmologist asap as Crohns can be linked to conditions such as Iritus and worst case macular oedema so if your having the remotest symptoms to be on the safe side I would get referred.

The good news is that most Crohns conditions with the eyes while painful or irritating are not life threatening and seldom lead to a great loss of sight. Also they are fairly easily treated with steroid eye drops and if necessary a steroid injection into the eye.

Hi pointy_ears
Thank you so much for that I've been so concerned, seem to have alot of ailments associated with crohns but i have to admit this was most worrying one. I went to my GP early this morning, his colleague has experience with this and noticed some abnormalities and has secured an emergency appointment later this evening.
Thank you again, and fingers crossed all goes well :)

If you have uveitis or dry eyes, you really do need to see an ophthalmologist who specializes in those areas or who specializes in eye conditions of crohn's disease. Dry eyes can cause blindness by damaging the cornea.

Thank you Naturelover for your reply, I'm learning something new all the time. I've got an emergency appointment later today. I'll update you guys then. :ghug:

HI Guys just back,
I have dry eyes and as I've just had a pretty serious virus it seems to have targeted my eyes also making the symptoms for dry eyes pretty exaggerated.
Have been prescribed Celluvisc, back to see him next week if no improvement I may need steroid treatment :(
Thanks for your help guys I would never have thought it was so serious, thought it was just swelling that might have gone away. :)

I hope your meds help and your dry eyes go away. I had several issues with my eyes the year leading up to my dx of crohn's. I had inflammation of the eye that would make me have blurry vision and sometimes I was very sensitive to light. The eye doctor kept saying it was a allergic reaction to my contact solution, but once I figured out I had crohn's, it made sense cause my blurry vision went away after my fistula sx and after I got on humira. Because I don't get a lot of normal belly type symptoms blurry vision is always a tip that I am having a bad flare.

I'm glad it wasn't Crohns related, just please keep following up with an ophthalmologist as they can make sure that your eyes are healthy and possibly prevent further treatment! Thanks for keeping us in the loop, if you need anything else or have any other worries feel free to talk to us! :D

I hope your meds help and your dry eyes go away. I had several issues with my eyes the year leading up to my dx of crohn's. I had inflammation of the eye that would make me have blurry vision and sometimes I was very sensitive to light. The eye doctor kept saying it was a allergic reaction to my contact solution, but once I figured out I had crohn's, it made sense cause my blurry vision went away after my fistula sx and after I got on humira. Because I don't get a lot of normal belly type symptoms blurry vision is always a tip that I am having a bad flare.
OMG I was unsually sensitive to light also, just glad this site is available. It allows us newbies gain information and support from other peoples experience :ghug: Your lucky not to get belly type symptoms. I seem to accumulate every ailment associated with crohns :)

Headaches and driving in the dark! Headlights of other cars esp in the mornings made it hard to drive safely.

And once I was diagnosed and told my eye doctor about how I figured the inflammation came from my crohn's she kinda brushed it off like she didn't think that was true. So always research and advocate for yourself. It was not a coincidence that my eyes only get bad during a flare.

Headaches and driving in the dark! Headlights of other cars esp in the mornings made it hard to drive safely.

And once I was diagnosed and told my eye doctor about how I figured the inflammation came from my crohn's she kinda brushed it off like she didn't think that was true. So always research and advocate for yourself. It was not a coincidence that my eyes only get bad during a flare.
I hear what your saying.
I drove the other night out back roads to collect my partner from work and OMG your so right about other cars and headlights. It was so painful as eyes were so sensitive to light. I found my judgement really wasn't great at all will avoid back roads next time. Some programmes on tv affect and cause headaches also. My eyesight has always been spot on 20 / 20. :yrolleyes:

Wow, I didn't know that... 3 years ago I found it dangerously difficult driving home in the dark... And yet I just went the optometrist and got my eyes tested and ended up with prescription glasses...I have had great vision but not so good now...

Sent from my littlefishes

Hi littlefishes
It's can't be coincidence that we all suffer with crohn's and also have similar complaints regarding eyes and sensitivity to light. sometimes I feel I need sunglasses to watch TV :eek::cool2: