• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

<---- Has UC and on Remicade

Hi all,

I have been diagnosed a few years ago (feels like forever) with Ulcertive colitis. The Doctor and I kind of agree it came to me from an allergic reaction to antibiotics. I don't have any family history of this or at least to my knowledge.

I am currently on Remicade. I get infusions ever 8 weeks. It costs a fortune (even with insurance) but (no pun intended) it works. It keeps the bleeding away.

I just recently caught a stomach virus from my kids. It went through the whole family. Of course it hit me the worst. 8 days of hell. I also couldn't lay down to sleep because the pain was to great. So I had to sit up and sleep. I couldn't get any sleep for 8 days which didn't help the situation.

I have also been under a lot of stress lately. With bills, dead lines and work. If anyone knows about Remicade the one major draw back is. That it lowers your immune system.

Sometimes when I stress I start drinking alcohol to much. Which I don't think that helps at all. Just looking for a way to relax. I tried a few anxiety meds but they didn't work. They would mess up my digestive system even more and just made me sleepy.

The reason I saw this site because I was looking into Medical Marijuana. I am not a smoker and don't handle smoking well. I saw that you can vaporize it but never tried that either. I really a noob at it all but just want to kind of lead a normal life for me and my family. Even with all the expense I put out for Remicade it doesn't help with the anxiety and stress of having problems when i am out and about.

Sorry for the long post

Angrybird

Hello and welcome to the forum.

I am glad that the Remi is keeping the tum settled :) Out of interest do you ever have your vitamin levels tested? If you have not already then do check out our treatment section as there is some info here regarding medical marijuana.

Wishing you all the best.

AB
xx

I get so many test I am not sure about my vitamin levels. Is that a simple blood test? I been sick the last two weeks straight first with a stomach bug and 2nd now with a cold or flu or something. I can hardly swallow today.

I don't take to many vitamins because i find they upset my digestive track. I do take like a chewable multi maybe like 3 times a week or so.

I don't notice a difference with it or with out it. My wife thinks I am battle with depression but I am not sure if that is one of the side effects of Remicade.

I tried to get back into sports for some exercise but i run out of energy quick. I even tried a few energy drinks that had a bunch of vitamins but i think it just made me sick. Kinda feel like i have no where to turn so if you have any hyper links you can post that would be great because i have having trouble finding things

thanks

Angrybird

They are checked via blood test and would need to be specifically requested as they are not part of the standard tests that get done. A deficiency in B12 is common with crohn's and this can cause fatigue and in some cases depression.

Thanks so much. Yeah I know they check some stuff but I never was asked or even thought to ask about having it test for vitamin deficiency.

Thanks for the info on the B12.

I took a multi (that had b12 in it) this morning. Hopefully in a week or so things will turn around.

Thanks again so much