• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hating the Prednisone!

I hate this necessary evil drug! I am near the end of my 7th week at 40mg a day and am counting the days until I can taper! I started Humira on the 9th and the taper will start on the 23rd.

The moon face and cankles showed up last week! My blood glucose levels have been all over the place! (vent about my Endocrinologist is a whole other story, needless to say I have an appointment with a new one in the future) and I am having a hard time staying hydrated! I found a sugar free electrolyte drink tab, yes!

On the bright side, my house is clean and becoming very organized! I do not remember the last time it was this clean. And best of all, I have had very little to no pain. At least I know it is working.

So hopefully the taper goes well and I will be Pred free by May 11th! ;)

Pred tapering stinks so bad! I was kn pres for over 9months and finally my GI let me start to taper once I started Humeria as well. It was hard though getting down into the teens and single doses. I started to have real bad withdrawal symptoms, so keep your GI aware if anything seems to just appear and doesn't feel right. As for me I would twitch real bad coming down and it wasn't to fun. Good luck to you! The Humeria is awesome and has keep me unsick for two years now, minus having pneumonia last Spring and this viral infection I just got this week I'm on meds for.

Keep us posted! Good luck on your journey! :)

The prednisone is driving me crazy also! 3 months of between 30 to 40 and the last 3 months have been 40 mg. So 6 months it stinks. Started Remicade this week but have not been given the ok to start the weaning yet. All of the good fun side effects like cleaning and energy are not happening anymore. Also I feel like the prednisone did not bounce me back like it usually does! Makes me sad! Wish everyone all the best with their weaning!

Hi Carol,
What on earth are cankles??!!
Not long now until your taper and lets hope the Humira is able to stop your symptoms flaring.How quick are you tapering. My GI is going to start with 2.5mg every 2 weeks as I've been on for 18months. He said if done more slowly it reduces withdrawal symptoms, though he also said he really wants me off...me too!. He hasn't given me a start date yet though.

So if you do struggle you could ask for a slower taper. Are you symptom free on the 40mg pred?

Good luck! Enjoy your clean house while it lasts!

Littlemissh, cankles are swollen ankles, lol! My name for them anyway!

I am pretty much symptom free! I have the D if I eat something I shouldn't and some pain from veggies. I am thinking about juicing my veggies.

My taper will be 5mg a week, I am currently at 40mg. I figure it will be at least 6 to 7 weeks if I do not have any withdrawal symptoms. I have been on Prednisone for 7 weeks now, so I hope the taper goes well.

The first loading dose of Humira has gone well! I hope it continues to do so!

I hope you continue to improve, you have been through so much and deserve a break, you are in my thoughts. :soledance:

I hope you find relief with the Humira. I can't sleep, but I have no energy. And I'm still having symptoms. I hate HATE HATE the predisone, but considering nothing else is working, the little relief I'm getting is better than nothing, I guess.

the moon face was horrible! agreed, the prednisone is an evil drug! worked for me for about a week and then it was just horrible side effects until i TOLD my doctor i was going off. good luck!

Linda looks like you and I are going through the same thing. Can't live with it can't live without it but still not getting relief!

I am so miserable. I haven't slept well in over a week. I also am so hungry from the (@*$ predisone, but when I eat I have such pain. I am also SO MOODY. My poor husband.

Linda, I am so miserable too! If I eat any starches my Bg levels sky rocket and veggies hurt, that leaves chicken, cheese and diabetes nutrition drinks! I just started getting moody and I do think it is from little sleep. How long will you be on Pred? Hang in there, we can do this! :hallo3:

Carol, I'll be on it at least another 2 months, due to my tapering schedule. Last night I decided I NEEDED to sleep, so I took two benadryl. I actually got 7 hours of sleep! I feel almost like a new person.

How long will you be on it?

Thank goodness for Benadryl! I had a nuero drink called sleep, pretty tasty and effective. I got about five and a half hrs, feeling pretty good too! I start my taper next Friday and taper 5 mg a week, so if things go well I figure I will be taking my last pill on May 11th. Can you tell I am counting down the days! Sounds like we on the same schedule!