• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Have people experienced IBD and IBS?

I've had Crohn's for over 10 years.
In the last 4 years I've been having a lot of episodes of chronic diarrhoea, fatigue and abdominal pain.
These can last 3 or 4 weeks. I always believed this this was due to my CD getting worse.
Yet blood test results and a recent colonoscopy suggest there is little/no inflammation.

This has led consultants to tell me I must be having "a bit of IBS".
I found this hard to believe as they talk about IBS like it's no big deal,
but these episodes make me very unwell. I can't leave the house.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

I don't know whether to think doctors are saying this as they can't explain what is happening.
My life is massively affected, I'm concerned I'm going to lose my job.
I have had no luck taking Buscopan, I have been told Amitriptyline can treat IBS.
Has anyone else with IBD-IBS found anything helpful?

I have had Crohns for twenty six years now. Last year, I was having symptoms. I had an enterography and they said I had ibs. I kept having symptoms and they found that the Crohns Disease was active. I would ask them to test you again. You could have ibs. I don't know. When they thought I had ibs on top of Crohns, they have me levsin to help with the symptoms. Sending support.

scottsma

Hello and welcome.I also have had crohns for ten years,crohns colitis now,originally diagnosed with Proctitis.I am convinced I also have IBS.I am never truly well.I always have one digestive problem or another.Unless I'm in an actual flare,I tend to cope on my own,although I am very aware of how far to let things go before I seek help.I have a repeat script for loperamide,which slows my digestion but I'm careful not to take too many so as not to cause a blockage.I also take a low dose of Amitriptilyne to work with Tramadol prescribed for chronic lower back pain.Not sure if Ami.is helping with the pain,but I have slept really well since I've been taking it.(12 months) we have an Amitriptilyne thread which may be of help to you. I hope you find something that helps and that you feel better soon.

Crohn's, a relatively rare condition, can definitely coexist with IBS, a common condition. Sometimes it's hard to tell the symptoms apart, but for that there are tests.