• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Have some questions about my future medicine

Hi guys I'm still pretty new to Crohns disease. My doctor prescribed me prednisone(steroids) to start off Tuesday and until remission. I'm just kind of worried about bad side effects of the steroids, does anyone have experience with this drug and have advice? Also once I'm feeling better from it can I work out while taking it (I'm a wrestler and am used to working out a lot ).Thanks!

Last edited:

nogutsnoglory

It's fast acting and you can work out if you feel able. Sometimes pred makes people angry and aggressive which may be good given your sport.

The side effects are bad so the best thing is to get off or taper as soon as able.

Lady Organic

Staff member
prednisone tend to get me super enthousiastic with very little sleep. I once exhausted myself physically while on it and paid the price after. Give yourself some time to rest, heal and repair your body while maintaining mild physical activity is my advice, even if you experiment speedy recovery during the treatment. In my experience, Drs taper down by 5 mg per week until 5mg/week. so depending on your initial dosing, you shall be able to know approximately when this round of pred is over, if it all goes well. if symptoms dont improve or get worse, call your GI; adjusting of dosing is not uncommon in CD and finding the right amount of a medication can sometimes take a few trials. best wishes.

David

Co-Founder
While you can workout while on prednisone, they are not anabolic steroids. They're a different kind so you're not going to see the huge muscle mass gains.

Has your doctor discussed what other medications to use once you're off the prednisone?

All my best to you.

Thanks a ton for the info, we're talking to my doctor and a dietitian on Tuesday, then I start my medication so right now we're basically just waiting for Tuesday for more information!

Prednisone Your Friend

Mikey989-

Prednisone is a great and powerful drug that gets a bad rap. Yes, you need to be very careful tapering off, but it's possible the only thing you may feel is better. Not everyone reacts the same to the same med and I have personally never had a problem with it and it did bring quick relief. I've taken it on and off for years. I've also never had a problem working out while on prednisone. My only caution, as someone else mentioned, is to taper off slowly. Tapering off too quickly once made me really irritable, but nobody could tell. ;) Trust your doc for now.

Last edited:
I started 50mg Prednisone about a mos ago and i've now tapered down to 30mg. The only side effects i've noticed so far is restlessness, but its a small price to pay considering after 3 pills i've felt better than i have in years and virtually all my GI symptoms have gone away. Good luck feeling better I think the Prednisone will help...

Prednisone has helped me a lot, but there were a few side effects for me. The worst was increased appetite, and weight gain (I love my clothes and want them to fit!) And the other is wounds seem to take a lot longer to heal (I cut myself when cooking/papercuts, etc). Otherwise, it made me feel 100% better even on a small dose. When I tapered before, I just knew I was ready, I stopped taking it and just had one or two days of feeling tired, but otherwise was fine. Now I am on a small dose again because of a flare. The ultimate goal is to feel fine without it, but it's helpful right now, I am just really watching my diet to stay low on calories and avoiding anything that might upset my digestion. Especially caffeine, which giving it up helps with insomnia/diarrhea/dehydration and a lot more. I also am trying to limit sugar intake since prednisone raises your blood sugar. Doctors are trying to convince me that I need something else, but I don't see why when all drugs have side effects, and this seems to be working. I'm going on a year and a half I've been taking it on and off, and I am happy with it so far. I have not experienced any mood swings or any effect on my emotion except that it improves my mood because I'm not in so much pain. My plan now is just to stay on a small dose only if needed, and hopefully use it as an aide in my treatment along with diet and yoga.