• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Have you had a cooks catheter?

If so could you tell me how they took it out. Mines tunneled and it feels like there is a decently sized cuff under the skin.

If it's like a Hickman line, then the larger cuff is there to hold it in place under the skin. To remove it, you'll get a local anaesthetic to numb the site and the person removing it will make a small incision and pull it out.

I currently have a Hickman line, and I have to say, I'm not looking forward to it being taken out. The whole idea makes me cringe (though I was fine when they put it in!).

Aww me too. Not looking forward to it at all. And everyone I ask from doctor to ton nurse has a different story to tell. Going in I was put under so there was no biggy. Well except it took them 5 times and a bunch of air built up around my lungs. So the couple of days afterwards I was in crazy pain. But that went away lol. I don't know if the Hickman and cooks are the same but they sound it. And that seems like the only way they really could take it out. Thanks !