• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Have you learnt anything about yourself?

Forgive me for posting another question, haven't been here too long, but I am just interested in hearing from you if you feel you have learnt anything about yourself as a result of having a stoma or living with crohns/UC?

I had my stoma as an emergency procedure and had a subsequent clot on my lungs and went through many dark and painful places. Just dealing with the stoma was initially difficult enough, but I learned to cope. I have to say that I have come out of it a lot stronger and obviously more aware of how that part of my body works. The old cliche of taking things for granted, is very true for me also.

I'm genuinely interested in hearing if you have/are handling your condition as well as you expected? Was there something about you that you never knew existed before?

Thanks for your time :ysmile:

Nyx

I had pretty much the same experience as you! My stoma was the result of emergency surgery and I got 2 clots in my lungs too. I always said prior to my surgery that I'd never be one of "those" people (meaning people with bags). I'm amazed at how well I've handled the whole thing. The surgery was rough, recovery was tough as well (24 days in hospital...and the hospital wasn't near where I live as my guts burst when I was visiting my brother for Christmas). It's amazing what one can handle when one has to. All in all, it's been a good experience. I'm much healthier now and definitely much happier :)

[Nyx]I had pretty much the same experience as you! My stoma was the result of emergency surgery and I got 2 clots in my lungs too. I always said prior to my surgery that I'd never be one of "those" people (meaning people with bags). I'm amazed at how well I've handled the whole thing. The surgery was rough, recovery was tough as well (24 days in hospital...and the hospital wasn't near where I live as my guts burst when I was visiting my brother for Christmas). It's amazing what one can handle when one has to. All in all, it's been a good experience. I'm much healthier now and definitely much happier :)
Fantastic to hear that you're both much happier and healthier now Nyx :) I totally agree with about how one can handle things when they get tough. We sometimes have an almost inbuilt ability to dig deep and get through it.

Terriernut

I learned that I was more stubborn and strong than I thought I was. So did the local medical community! I'm a proper Steel Magnolia!

I also learned that by helping others, by making them laugh, and look forward to even the tiny things, I was actually helping myself. True worth comes from looking outside and seeing where you can shine a light, so you can see your own inner light better.

I had my colon removed on 2/2/12. Developed a massive pulmonary embolism 3 weeks post op. Right lung 100% occluded left lung 30% occluded.
I knew going into my op that I had to have a temp stoma so it wasn't the shock it can be for emergency surgery people.
I have discovered that my pain threshold is a lot higher than i thought it could ever be!
Also I am a lot stronger mentally than I thought i was.
I have found coping with Ozzie ostomy to be no problem what so ever.
I am only 10 weeks post op but it feels like Ozzie has been here forever!
The experiences I have had since february have changed my outlook on life in general. I am no longer bothered by the stuff that ddoesnt really matter.
I am happier and healthier than before although I still have a long way to go yet.

KWalker

I've learned that all of us as a community on the crohns forum are a lot stronger than most people. I see it all the time where people will make up excuses and lay in bed all day because they have a sore throat while there are people like us dealing with so much worse everyday and continuing to work/school and not let crohns ruin our lives.

I haven't really learned this because I've dealt with crohns for so long its just normal but I definitely am more empathic to others when they say they aren't feeling well but don't show signs. Sure there are some people who will let anything hold them down but when others are legitimately feeling "under the weather" I always try to be there for them as much as possible. A big problem that many crohns sufferers face is that people don't believe them when they don't feel well because they don't show visible signs so I try not to use that for others either.

No matter how I sick I get I can still go to work . I never realised that you can deal with and overcome the most horendous days. I am still amazed how we can deal with discomfort and pain on a daily basis . Over all I feel I have become a stronger person mentally if not physically and have realised the power of communication. A problem shared is indeed a problem halved. I now know a great deal in how my body both reacts to to and deals with different situations, so more control and more patient than I used to be.

[Terriernut]I learned that I was more stubborn and strong than I thought I was. So did the local medical community! I'm a proper Steel Magnolia!

I also learned that by helping others, by making them laugh, and look forward to even the tiny things, I was actually helping myself. True worth comes from looking outside and seeing where you can shine a light, so you can see your own inner light better.
Nice :) Thanks for sharing..

[shazz]I had my colon removed on 2/2/12. Developed a massive pulmonary embolism 3 weeks post op. Right lung 100% occluded left lung 30% occluded.
I knew going into my op that I had to have a temp stoma so it wasn't the shock it can be for emergency surgery people.
I have discovered that my pain threshold is a lot higher than i thought it could ever be!
Also I am a lot stronger mentally than I thought i was.
I have found coping with Ozzie ostomy to be no problem what so ever.
I am only 10 weeks post op but it feels like Ozzie has been here forever!
The experiences I have had since february have changed my outlook on life in general. I am no longer bothered by the stuff that ddoesnt really matter.
I am happier and healthier than before although I still have a long way to go yet.
Hi shazz :)

The fact that you're in such a great frame of mind only ten weeks post op is commendable. You're obviously adapting to it quickly, which is great. I have a very close friend who had a temp ileo and it didn't phase him one bit. He did have key hole surgery, whereas I have always been cut open and then stapled back. I think even that procedure, post op, can cause infection issues and pain. Which happened to me on two out of the three times I was opened. So even the pain threshold aspect is an interesting one. I had never previously experienced pain on the same level I have throughout my illness. I do think my tolerance for pain has risen as a result.

I do think that it depends upon the individual as to how both quickly and positively they can deal with having a stoma or Crohns etc... and where we are in our personal lives can also be a contributing factor. Thanks for sharing : )

[KWalker]I've learned that all of us as a community on the crohns forum are a lot stronger than most people. I see it all the time where people will make up excuses and lay in bed all day because they have a sore throat while there are people like us dealing with so much worse everyday and continuing to work/school and not let crohns ruin our lives.

I haven't really learned this because I've dealt with crohns for so long its just normal but I definitely am more empathic to others when they say they aren't feeling well but don't show signs. Sure there are some people who will let anything hold them down but when others are legitimately feeling "under the weather" I always try to be there for them as much as possible. A big problem that many crohns sufferers face is that people don't believe them when they don't feel well because they don't show visible signs so I try not to use that for others either.
Empathy is absolutely something that I can relate to. Unfortunately it is not uncommon for us to be spending considerable time in hospitals. So consequently we do see people who are dealing with the same illness to either a lesser or greater degree and one can't but help feel empathy. Not to be patronizing, but especially so if they're teens or younger people dealing with crohns or a stoma. Having to go to school, college etc.. and deal with this can't be easy.

Thanks for sharing :)

[PVail]No matter how I sick I get I can still go to work . I never realised that you can deal with and overcome the most horendous days. I am still amazed how we can deal with discomfort and pain on a daily basis . Over all I feel I have become a stronger person mentally if not physically and have realised the power of communication. A problem shared is indeed a problem halved. I now know a great deal in how my body both reacts to to and deals with different situations, so more control and more patient than I used to be.
Couldn't agree more. Thanks for sharing :)

I've never taken anything for granted, growing up in rough financial situations and watching 3 family members die from cancer. Then watching 2 more family members get cancer and thankfully get it taken care of. When I got Crohns I realized everything happens for a reason and although God didn't "give" me Crohns it's just one of those things that happens, I feel very scared about it but at the same time I see how God is helping me along the way all the time. I've been very depressed but I think I'm on the brink of the "reconstruction" stage of being diagnosed with a lifelong chronic illness. I'm getting my first career/job with the help of a mentor since I can no longer go to college or work. I've been through a lot and everyday I'm seeing how Crohns effects my daily life. I want to get into remission but I keep getting infections and having to take antibiotics which flare me up more than I already am. I know I'll get into remission at some point. God's taking care of me :)

*I haven't been able to work at all since I was fired last year because of my Crohns.......but this at home medical transcription career will really pay off :) It's better than making 9k a year like I'm used to! YAY lol

I've learnt that I am a hell of a lot stronger than I ever gave myself credit for. That I am not alone, And I also no longer take certain things for granted like I used to, In particular my mum and sister who after the last year I am now closer to than I could have ever imagined before all this.

I learned that I was more stubborn and strong than I thought I was. So did the local medical community! I'm a proper Steel Magnolia!

Terrirnut, This is so true.:thumleft:

[Crohnsnewbie]I've never taken anything for granted, growing up in rough financial situations and watching 3 family members die from cancer. Then watching 2 more family members get cancer and thankfully get it taken care of. When I got Crohns I realized everything happens for a reason and although God didn't "give" me Crohns it's just one of those things that happens, I feel very scared about it but at the same time I see how God is helping me along the way all the time. I've been very depressed but I think I'm on the brink of the "reconstruction" stage of being diagnosed with a lifelong chronic illness. I'm getting my first career/job with the help of a mentor since I can no longer go to college or work. I've been through a lot and everyday I'm seeing how Crohns effects my daily life. I want to get into remission but I keep getting infections and having to take antibiotics which flare me up more than I already am. I know I'll get into remission at some point. God's taking care of me :)

*I haven't been able to work at all since I was fired last year because of my Crohns.......but this at home medical transcription career will really pay off :) It's better than making 9k a year like I'm used to! YAY lol
Thanks for sharing Crohnsnewbie and all the best for your new job :)

[robbo87]I've learnt that I am a hell of a lot stronger than I ever gave myself credit for. That I am not alone, And I also no longer take certain things for granted like I used to, In particular my mum and sister who after the last year I am now closer to than I could have ever imagined before all this.
Having support from family and friends can make all the difference indeed. I fondly remember my first stoma nurse and I must admit she really helped me through a very difficult time in my life. I was absolutely devastated to find a bag on my stomach when I awoke from my op. She was an absolute rock for me and it was almost as though she had a stoma herself, she could relate so well to what I was experiencing. I have never met a bad stoma nurse, they do such a fantastic job.

Thanks for sharing : )

I've learned that Crohn's can cure procrastination. I was a very successful procrastinator prior to Crohn's, and while I can still put something off with the best of them, I get a whole lot done. Took me a long time to get my head right, but I have accomplished a lot since then. Two university degrees, a successful decade in one career followed by becoming a teacher. Despite having had 6 operations for it, the only people who would know are the ones that I choose to tell. Like many here, found out just how much pain I can tolerate and still function - refereed hockey for 15 years at some pretty high levels, often while partially obstructed. It taught me that I had to become my own best advocate and push for results that I knew I should get. It showed me pretty clearly that "settling" doesn't work well with Crohn's. I would never say that I am glad to have Crohn's, but it has really refocused me and gotten my priorities straightened.

maria

I love you God.
I like this thread:) Mine is I have become very forgiving. In the past I would hold on to stuff and now.. Tomorrow is not gauranteed The gift I was givin ( my body ) can be taken anytime also my loved ones. I appreciate everything I have more now than I ever did before. Every day is much more vibrant then before. Colors are brighter, the animals are beautiful. People are so different but I love that We are all unique. Nature smells so fresh. God is good.

[shamrock15]I've learned that Crohn's can cure procrastination. I was a very successful procrastinator prior to Crohn's, and while I can still put something off with the best of them, I get a whole lot done. Took me a long time to get my head right, but I have accomplished a lot since then. Two university degrees, a successful decade in one career followed by becoming a teacher. Despite having had 6 operations for it, the only people who would know are the ones that I choose to tell. Like many here, found out just how much pain I can tolerate and still function - refereed hockey for 15 years at some pretty high levels, often while partially obstructed. It taught me that I had to become my own best advocate and push for results that I knew I should get. It showed me pretty clearly that "settling" doesn't work well with Crohn's. I would never say that I am glad to have Crohn's, but it has really refocused me and gotten my priorities straightened.
This is both a very encouraging and insightful post. I particularly like what you say about Crohns being a good way to cure procrastination. There's definitely a truth to that. I do also think that a lot of people can say that having this condition, as crazy as it seems, has drastically changed their lives for the better. Obviously not in the physical sense, but in a more holistic way.

Again, another fantastic contribution to this thread. Thanks for sharing :)

[maria]I like this thread:) Mine is I have become very forgiving. In the past I would hold on to stuff and now.. Tomorrow is not gauranteed The gift I was givin ( my body ) can be taken anytime also my loved ones. I appreciate everything I have more now than I ever did before. Every day is much more vibrant then before. Colors are brighter, the animals are beautiful. People are so different but I love that We are all unique. Nature smells so fresh. God is good.
A beautiful post. Thanks for sharing maria :)

I start my new career/job by the end of the year, I'm just wondering what job I can work before then. Money is tight!!!! My bank account is gone. I'm not paying for this internet. I'm trying to get a housekeeping job or a data entry desk job but both are very hard to find in Ohio it seems! Plus I keep getting infections which tend to make things worse for me :/ I'll get through it though! :)

I have learned I have a high pain tolerance- not always a plus! You can get in a bit of trouble that way!

I am tougher and more resilient than I gave myself credit for. I also have more empathy for people and know others can be having trouble that I cant see. (like Crohns). I give people the benefit of doubt instead of being offended.

I have learned to ask questons until I understand- after all after seeing my hosp bill I am paying dearly for those visits!

Lauren
:rosette1:

I've learned that sometimes surgery is the best option.
I was told with my initial diagnosis that I was so severe that taking the colon out would be the best option. I fought for two years trying everything from acupuncture to remicade, Diet to humira. In the end it was my choice to take the colon out. I am so thankful my doctors let me travel my journey and did not force me into anything I wasn't ready for.
I know someday in the future as an acupuncturist, I will have a patient that is fighting against surgery, believing that there must be another way. I will be able to say that it is possible that this person just falls into the 18% that remicade can't help, the 30% that acupuncture can't help and so on. Sometimes surgery is the only option, and it may just give the person a new outlook on life!
It's a big risk, but having my life back is the best reward possible!

Today I learned or should I say i was reminded that Doctors dont always tell the truth. Ever get the feeling that because you have learned to manage that your cutting your own throat regards getting treatment. Perhaps things will never change, Im just disappointed with my new Doc, was all enthusiastic when i seen him and promised the earth ,moon and stars. Turns out he just another talker. Ah well here we go again.

Today I learned or should I say i was reminded that Doctors dont always tell the truth. Ever get the feeling that because you have learned to manage that your cutting your own throat regards getting treatment. Perhaps things will never change, Im just disappointed with my new Doc, was all enthusiastic when i seen him and promised the earth ,moon and stars. Turns out he just another talker. Ah well here we go again.
Heavens! Change doctors!!

I've learned I'm tougher than I thought I was. :)

I've had to relearn patience.... and it was not fun.... and also had to relearn to let people do things for me, sometimes just because they needed to feel like they could do something to ease the suffering.

I've also learned that having an ostomy can be a freaking hoot! :)

i learnt i was stronger than i thought.
recovery was awful and im proud of myself for getting through it- and definatley couldnt have done without this forum and especially misty!
i love giving others advice where i can and there are a couple of girls i'm currently emailing from my area who are about to undergo surgery....i feel like i was given Izzy for a purpose.