• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Having a friend with the same disease

Hey guys,

Who here has a close friend or relative that has Crohn's?

I'm 23, and I don't know anybody personally that has Crohn's (except my Aunt, but she has always had it very mild and never had to deal with the severe symptoms and complications that I have.)

Most people I talk to and tell that I have Crohn's have never even HEARD of it. It's amazing, considering how common IBD is.

I feel like knowing somebody personally that has the same struggles would help in dealing with day-to-day issues. My boyfriend of almost 2 years broke up with me recently, and one of the reasons he had revolved around my medical issues and how difficult it can be to have a girlfriend who is sick and in the hospital a lot. :(

Thanks!

afidz

Super Moderator
Hello
My dad has Crohn's but he doesn't ever talk about it, he has been in remission since his resection when he was a kid. So for a while I felt completely alone. Until I came here. I have even gotten the chance to meet someone on here that I talk to a lot. Simply having a friendship with someone who understands does make a difference.
Yes, IBD is common. But because of the bathroom nature of IBD's, no one talks about it. There are a lot of people who don't wish to tell their friends or even family. I think its important to talk about, to raise awareness. It is debilitating and sometimes its hard for family and friends to understand what it takes to simply get out of bed everyday.
Have you tried finding a support group in your area? You can check with the CCFA and local hospitals in your area, I know of a few people that have found great support that way.
As for your boyfriend, if he can't deal with this now, at least you know now, and not later on down the road "in sickness and in health". Focus on you, and what makes you feel good. Not just physically but mentally and emotionally as well. Take time out of your day everyday to do something just for you. (read a book, go for a walk, any favorite hobbies.) just taking a little time for yourself everyday can make the world of a difference.
:hug:

I think a large number of people have it and don,t realise it,the put up with a gypy tummy for a few days I suspect my dad had it but wasn't,t really diagnosed or known about.

I have a brother who has Crohn's, diagnosed at 19 (now 37). He's been through the ringer with different Crohn's related issues as well as trying different meds. He currently has an ileostomy and is living a much better life than than he ever has. I've only been recently diagnosed and seem to have a much milder case than he had, so far! It is nice to be able to ask him questions and get his advice--it is such a difficult disease to talk to people about. I work in healthcare so it's easier for me to talk to co-workers about my symptoms, etc--because we are all used to talking about pain and poo and all those other things!

Find a support group in your area--reach out to some other people who are in your shoes, even though we all have different experiences we can generally relate to each other and support each other through tough times.

nogutsnoglory

I think it would be great to find other friends who understand what you are going through. CCFA has a Buffalo chapter and a support group:

Support Group Meeting at Millard Fillmore Suburban Hospital (directions at front desk), Williamsville 14221
7:30pm
Meeting is open to the public- all are encouraged to attend
Contact ksikora@ccfa.org for additional details or questions

http://www.ccfa.org/chapters/westernny/