• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Having a hard time

hello- this is my first time on this forum, I actually haven't been on any forums for a while now, but I was feeling in need of a little support. Recently I've been having a pretty bad flare up- the worst in the last four years for me. the pain has been very extreme.
I'm currently between doctors and without insurance so it's even more stressful which is never good. I have an appointment with a new doc in April, and I've been thinking about asking him about antispasmodic's- I've never had a pain RX before (I've never wanted to become dependent on them because I'm still young and I know I have a long way to go with this disease) but lately I just really feel like I need the help. Has anyone hear has any experience with them??
I've been thinking lately that I used to deal with these a lot better. Like when I was a kid I could be super sick all night and then go to school and pretend that it was fine. Now days though I just fine it harder to compartmentalize it I guess. I think its really just depression mostly.
Any words of wisdom or support are very welcome.
nice to meet all of you

gmarks:
welcome to the forum. We are glad you found us too.
You will find so much support and maybe some ideas to get you back on track.

This is a tough disease, and you are amazing to have been able to handle it so well while you were in school.

Some people can use Tylenol and a hot pad to find some good relief. Cannibis, is also a good pain reliever, reduces inflammation and diarrhea. It can help increase your appetite as well. You can use it in many forms, some wont have the "high" feeling, but you might want that in the evening for depression. There is a section on here where you can find more information.

It is important to get your flare under control as soon as possible. Have you looked at what financial aid might be available to you in your state?

We are here pretty much 24 hours so keep in touch and let us know how you are doing.

afidz

Super Moderator
Hello and welcome !
I have been on antispasmodic medicine before, and it really made a difference in the severity of my cramps. I understand your fear of becoming dependent. It can happen so easily. Bentyl is the one that I have always been presribed, here is a little info on that. But it does say that if you take it exactly as prescribed you lessen your chances of becoming dependent. http://www.webmd.com/drugs/drug-5245-Bentyl.aspx?drugid=5245&drugname=Bentyl

I'm not sure how this works, but I know certain medication, like Humira (sp?) and Pentasa, have rebate and/or discount programs. Maybe some people could let you know which drug companies are friendly to those without insurance, and then you can discuss those options with your doctor.

Sorry I don't have specific details for you.

Good luck. Hugs.

Kimberly

thanks,
Im on a couple discount programs for my meds (6MP and entocort with an iron full diet lol) and that has helped me a lot since I can only work part time (I'm a full time student- I'm actually am finishing my BA in political science this may if things don't go to down hill). Ive always found that a hot pad or a hot water bottle has helped, and over the counter pain meds did too- but that doesn't seem to be the case this time around. The last episode I has about a week or so ago was so bad that my mom gave me an hydrocodone and it only made it manageable.

gmark, not sure where your crohns is, but the cortifoam VERY helpful in Crohns colitis. There is also a cream that works. Stopped the pain, bleeding and inflammation over night.

I will pm you about it.
It is a topical steroid that helps stop bleeding, inflammation, and cramping for Crohns colitis. Plus there are no side effects.