• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Having Symptoms, Mildly Active Crohn's After Resection (2 years ago)

My blood tests AND colonoscopy shows no real evidence that my crohns is flaring. The doc did say that I have a "minimal" spot of crohns above my fairly recent (2 yrs ago) resection. Since my resection I've had urgency, pain, frequent loose stool, and fatigue. Can someone please tell me that I'm not crazy......I love this forum.

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Hi indianhart, do you still have your ileocecal valve? Not having one can cause more urgency in a lot of people. "Patients who lost the ileocecal valve and part of the right colon had more diarrhea than those who lost comparable lengths of ileum but had this area preserved." http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/7353449

A resection also causes scar tissue where the areas connect and that scarring shrinks over time. I've been having some symptoms myself from my 14 year old resection but my doctors think the main cause is the narrowed scar tissue. I've been having some urgency, pain and loose stools as well yet they don't think fatigue is related. Have you had blood work to check your vitamin and nutrient levels?

Yet your doctor said that you, "have a "minimal" spot of crohns" above your resection. Did they see this in the scope or some other imaging test?

Hi!
I did get part of my ileum removed and it wasn't the valve. The surgeon said it was a text book surgery with no complications. The saw the addition spot of crohns on an MRI, but he didn't seem worried about it at all. I go to see him in Sept. and may opt for new meds, Ive been on mine for awhile now. Thanks for all the input!

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
I hope you find a new treatment soon then. Even small amounts of inflammation build up scar tissue over time and can cause absorption issues and may explain your current symptoms (guess I have to change your thread title unfortunately). What meds are you on currently?

I am on imuran only right now. I feeling that at my next appointment I will see if he thinks changing the meds may work. Its always such a crap shoot!