• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Headaches...What can I take?

Hi All. I just started taking Pentasa, I was diagnosed with Crohns on Tuesday. I have had more energy than I can ever remember, but today I have a headache from hell. I took tylenol because my discharge papers said to only take that if needed in the first 5 days. In the future, what can I take for headaches while on Pentasa?

kiny

Pentasa has never given me headaches. Do you have diarrhea and are you drinking enough?

I think I'm just pmsing to be honest. I have been drinking water all day. I just had my colonoscopy on Tuesday, so my bowels are still trying to work their way back to normal, but I'm not going too frequently.

kiny

Ah, well Tylenol isn't such a bad choice, you can take any brand of paracetamol, only thing I know you can't take while having crohn's disease is NSAID, it will mess up your tummy.

kiny

I've had crohn's disease for 13 years now (got it as a kid), I have been on and off.

Longest I've been on it without break is about 2 years.

They're changed the forms over it over the years too, first they had big capsules, then smaller satchets, now they have a few versions.

I'm on the blue capsules, 2 of them, 4 times a day. Glad to know it works for some others. I've seen a lot of people on here who say it didn't work. It's only been 3 days, but seriously I've had more energy than I can ever remember having. Especially in the past 5 years. Hope this continues!

nogutsnoglory

Tylenol or another acetaminophen is the only safe over the counter pain reliever. The rest are NSAIDS like Advil, Motrin, Aleve, etc and these can cause GI distress and bleeding. IBD patients need to avoid them. If Tylenol doesn't work you could get a prescription for something stronger and safe.

kiny

Nod. Keep taking them as prescribed. If I could go back in time and get advise from someone I would have wished someone would have told me to keep taking my pentasa, the alternatives have some serious potential side effects. If pentasa works for you, that's great, it worked for me for years and I take it when neeeded.

(that was meant in repsonse to the pentasa)