• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Heads up about Pred and hypertension meds...

Well I am not sure if this is the case for everyone, but I decided to try figure out why my blood pressure has been so high even though I'm on strong dose of hypertension meds (60mg, twice a day). I knew that Prednisone increases hypertension risk, but using a drug interaction website I discovered that the 2 medications interact with each other, and my hypertension meds actually increase the side effects of Prednisone.
Of course that would explain the hypertension, high anxiety (also on meds for that daily), restlessness, etc. side effects that I am feeling even being down now to just 15mg of Pred per day.
Just wanted to warn the rest of you with hypertension to double-check if you go on Pred if it interacts with your own meds and to be more careful about trying to maintain the blood pressure...

Here's a prime example: Today my blood pressure was 146/102 before my day even really got going. Normally my blood pressure is around 115/75. No change in the blood pressure meds, just on Pred...