• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Heart flutters common with Crohn's?

Hi everyone!
I've had Crohn's for 21 years and am on Cimzia which is working awesome to keep my disease under control. For the last month I have had heart flutters, it feels like my heart is turning over in my chest! They happen a lot when I'm awake but thankfully they don't seem to bother my sleep. My doc had me wear a halter monitor for 48 hours and based on the results of the test he is sending me to a cardiologist. Anyone else had a similar issue? What was your outcome?
Thanks!

Hey corn,
Can't say that there is an absolute correlation and I'm no MD but, there are multiple causes of flutter- aging, genetics, anxiety ( which I'm increasingly getting which increases my heart rate), blood pressure issues, diabetes and other disease states. Thus, it doesn't mean we may not have an increase in heart rate/flutter due to our bodies trying to react to our condition. I hope the cardilogist has good news for you!! Best of luck. -hugs-

only when seriously relapsing does my heart flutter. also pounds harder during relapse as well, and many times wakes me up at night. all these symptoms are associated with more diarhea etc, they tend to occur together, for me at least. it feels liek a light rattling in the chest or something, last like 1-3 seconds at a time, never longer then that, it doesnt hurt but it is very strange.

Crohn's Mom

Hey cornfield - do u take anything for gastritis or chronic heartburn / reflux ? Etc ...?

I have chronic esophogitis and if I don't take my meds it causes the heart flutters.
Just a thought - hope
That's "all" it is :)

David

Co-Founder
One thing that IS extremely common in people with Crohn's disease is magnesium deficiency. And one of the potential manifestations of magnesium deficiency is exactly what you describe.

I had terrible heart palpitations and tachycardia on Prednisone. It was so disturbing I will never take it again.

I have had the heart flutters, they diagnosed me as having PVC's. They say they are premature heartbeats. It can be very uncomfortable. I also have a grade 1 heart murmur. There are many things that can cause this, I think the autonomic nervous system is a big culprit. Have they done any other testing on you like an echocardiogram? This is an ultrasound of your heart. That is how they dx me with the heart murmur.

Also medications can cause heart issues as well so make sure you tell the cardiologist about all the meds you are on. I remember years back I was taking a pretty high dose of zantac which is a stomach acid reducer. Well it really messed with my heart. I got tachycardia from it and wanted to pass out. So yeah, meds can have side effects.

Good luck and hope you get some asnwers and help...

I would have to agree with David being low on magnesium can cause this and is very dangerous if left untreated, please ask your doc to check your levels to rule this out. Ryan.

I agree with David as well. Also watch the fluids. Dehydration with meds and low vitamin levels can cause those symptoms. My son had them while on Prednisone and we had to go to a cardiologist as well, wear the heart monitor and get an ultra sound of the heart. Everything turned out to be normal but we were glad we took the time to check it out.

I do this...but it's much worse when I flare. I have had several test over the years and they all say I'm okay.

Thanks everyone!
David and Ryan, thanks for the suggestion, I will definitely have my cardiologist pull a Mg level to make sure everything is where it should be.
I'll let you know what I find out! Y'all are the best!
:)

I regularly get a sharp pain through my heart that is painful upon inhalation, though i've always attributed this to anxiety. To be fair though, most of my anxiety occurs as a result of CD so swings and roundabouts really.

After multiple appts with the cardiologist, an echo, and lots of blood work they have decided I'm fine. They can't find a cause for the skipped beats and said it's probably cause I'm nearing menopause. When did that sneak up on me? :)

Do you have anxiety? I use to get really bad heart and stomach 'flutters' until I treated my anxiety that CD gave me.

I suffer from PVC's too (extra beats), and it is the scariest feeling! I'm on a beta blocker permanently. Without it my heart flips out, and I develop tachycardia. Also laying on my left side sometimes makes it worse. I would suggest an echocardiogram, too, even if your doctor doesn't think it necessary, it would give you some comfort to know everything is being done.