• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Heart problems?

Does anyone have heart problems related to Crohns? I have a higher than normal heart rate and take meds for it. Heart doc says it's from my Crohns flaring and my body reacting to it. Anyone else had this?

I too have a higher than normal heart rate and also suffer from palpitations which are under investigation at the moment. My heart doc has said it may be due to some of my medication but he's ruling out anything else first. But the theory that it could be due to a Crohn's flare interests me as it was first noticed when I was in hospital with my first major flare so I'll mention that at my next appointment... Sorry I can't really help but thank you for the alternative reason :) <3

Me too but I have had a diagnosed heart condition since loooooooong before i was diagnosed with crohns when I was a kid!!
xxx

Me too but I have had a diagnosed heart condition since loooooooong before i was diagnosed with crohns when I was a kid!!
xxx
Me too. Mine (tachycardia, high blood pressure, and high cholesterol) is not related to Crohn's. But taking certain Crohn's meds such as Prednisone, aggravate the heart issues.

What sort of tachycardia is it? Mines a drug and ablation resistant SVT (booooooooooooooooooo!! Took so much courage to go for ablation too then it didnt work!!!) but my cardiologist is an absolute LEGEND and he is doing his very best for me! So I can't really ask for more than that!!

Also have high cholesterol, runs in the family *sigh*. Never mind eh!!! Blood pressures good though, prob cos of the all the anti arrhythmic meds I'm on!

Hope you're well!

xxx

This is pretty intresting..... I have had heart issues too.. PVC's (palpations) It was so bad I was passing out. I have had 2 ablations, but still feel them at times. Not passing out anymore. I was on Asacol at the time and had been taking it for years. Now changed to Pentasa.
This is pretty intresting to me... Thanks for starting the discussion. Woops!

Don't have a heart condition as far as I know, but I am prone to tachycardia. A usual heart rate for me is about 90 (which is upper end of the normal range) but whenever I am ill or stressed it goes over 100.

Tachycardia (a fast heart beat) is common during bouts of great physiologic stress, like flares.

Dr. S (spouse of a Crohn's sufferer)

Before i was diagnosed i got told i have sinius tachycardia my heartrate was above 160bpm now since ive been on meds for crohns its normal 70-80

Ya I take atenolol and it helps a lot I was always running around 160 now I'm at 70-80. I feel a lot better since I've been on the meds. I used to feel like I was going to pass out.

3 years ago I had a heart attack. I always eat go because of the Crohns so it was a big shock when it happened. I've always had below normal blood pressure and my heart rate is normally around 70.
But for the past 3 months I have had problems with breathing, tightness in my throat and across my chest. When I lay down at night to go to sleep my heart skips a beat and it takes my breath away for a moment. I have done the stress test which I passed with flying colors. EKG's are normal. Going in this Thursday for the Carotid Ultrasound and then a heart cath on Friday. My Dr. says the stress test doesn't show any blockages, but Janis asked if he could do the Cath anyway to be sure.

I do believe that it is due to all these years of taking all these drugs for the CD, but no way to prove it.

It looks to me that there is some general connection between inflammation of the body and SVT/A-fib.

I think I had some SVT before I went on Azathioprine (Imuran), but nothing big (had a heart palpatation once at night, and maybe I noticed once or twice that my heart looked to be beating faster in the bathtub)

I had a huge big reaction to the Azathioprine/Imuran earlier this year, and had to be taken off of it. I had vomitting, nausea, dirrahoea, fever, and heart palpitations.

I'm still getting over the heart palpitations, went to see a cardiologist who did an echo and confirmed that structure of heart is ok, yet some SVT/A-fib remains. I am on some Flecainide for it (100mg twice a day), and it appears to be working.

It really is a mystery as to where it came from. The Crohn's direct, the Crohn's indirectly (through the general inflammation of the body as suggested in this post), or as a reaction to Imuran.

Nice! I think I read this article before but lost it. Really goes to confirm the body works together. Hopefully the SCD diet which I am currently on will reduce the Crohn's and with it the AF.

Make sure you're getting your B vitamins (especially B12). When my B12 was low, my heart was racing/pounding all the time.