• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Heart rate

Hi everyone

Is anyone else's heart rate ALWAYS elevated? Mine varies and is generally never less than 115-120 per minute at rest. I'm 25 and not completely inactive but not hugely fit either. On pred I get palpitations but the actual rate is no different.

At times I've measured it at over 140. This is regardless of my iron levels etc. It just seems to be always higher than average. Is something else going on?

You could look into inappropriate sinus tachycardia or maybe postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome. The former is where your resting heart rate averages high at resting consistently the later is where you have a 30+ bpm increase when standing or over 120.

You can good both to get an idea of each.

Pred can cause a higher heart rate, as well as dehydration, inflammation etc. Maybe discuss it with your GP and ask for a heart monitor for a couple weeks.

I have IST (inappropriate sinus tachycardia) and mild POTs(postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome).

There are other issues that could be occurring as well so best to get it checked out.

valleysangel92

Staff member
Hello,

I've had a high heart rate for a long time now, for a while no one seemed to think too much about it until one of my GPs decided she wanted it looked into further.

I was sent to a Cardiologist and had an ECG which came back fine except for the rate being elevated, and then he sent me for an Echo which is an ultrasound of the heart. This also came back clear, so it has been decided that for the time being no further action is needed as it seems as though it is just normal for me and probably linked to all of my other illnesses. I have the option to be put on medication to slow the rate in the future, but they were reluctant to do this at the moment as if I went on it then it would be a life long thing, so unless it starts affecting my life or interfering with treatments they would prefer I wasn't taking it.

I would recommend asking your GP for an ECG as a starting point, as this will show up any irregularities in the rhythm of your heart as a disrupted rhythm is generally more concerning than just an elevation in the rate. If this doesn't come up with any answers, it could be worth just asking for a referral to a cardiologist to check for any other abnormalities and see whether it would be worth starting any medications.

Thank you for your responses! My GP actually first picked up on it a few years ago before I was even diagnosed. She asked if I was anxious, which I was having had the WORST day at work. I never really thought much more of it until I was diagnosed.

I do try to keep tabs on it and take it at various times of day and different scenarios etc. It's just always up! I need to do some exercise [emoji87]

Actually after my first upper GI scope they wouldn't let me even get up off the bed for a few minutes as my heart rate at gone completely through the roof! I've had an ECG once but it was a paramedics mobile unit - don't know if that makes a difference or not? His only comments were it was all nice and even.

I'll keep monitoring it and next time I see the GP I'll bring it up again to see if it's any cause for concern [emoji1303]

emmaaaargh

Staff member
Mine is always high too! I had an iron infusion a couple of weeks ago and while my blood pressure was being measured beforehand, the nurse said she wanted to do an ECG, because my heart rate was 130 at the time (admittedly I was pretty stressed because I've had cannulation issues in the past, but my resting heart rate hovers around 110 anyway). So she did it but couldn't find anything abnormal and put it all down to stress. I've always wondered what the cause is though!

Eeeeek just measured it at 148! Granted I'm in a hot bath and felt it racing after a bit of a cough but still...[emoji15][emoji15][emoji15]

My heart races when flaring (125 or so). I would have it checked out just in case. My Dr said mine was because my body was stressed...it did go down once my inflammation went down.

The heart rate is usually high to compensate for low blood pressure, low blood perfusion. So both the RBC and hydration can as well other individual factors cause higher heart rate.

The heart rate is usually high to compensate for low blood pressure, low blood perfusion. So both the RBC and hydration can as well other individual factors cause higher heart rate.

That's interesting, I have been told I've got low blood pressure in the past but not for several years. Unless it's slightly on the low side but not enough that anyone thinks to mention it? I do occasionally get a bit light headed and seeing splotches when I stand up ha ha!

Yes, doctors and nurses only care about high blood pressure. Never mention low blood pressure.

Also as your body compensates, you may register as normal, although you may in fact have low blood pressure.

The only abnormal finding would be tachycardia (higher than normal heart rate)

Yes, doctors and nurses only care about high blood pressure. Never mention low blood pressure.

Also as your body compensates, you may register as normal, although you may in fact have low blood pressure.

The only abnormal finding would be tachycardia (higher than normal heart rate)

Try take some beta blocker like 20 mg propranolol and see how you feel.

I'm back again! I've been monitoring this more closely for a couple of months, although maybe not the most accurate in the world I've been using a Fitbit surge.

According to this device my true resting heart rate during sleep is the low seventies. It never drops that low during waking hours and is in 'fat burn zone' for hours and hours every day. The little graph shows either massive yellow spikes throughout the day, or a consistent yellow line with slight peaks and troughs. What's interesting is I spend an hour or so before work seeing to my horse, mucking out, clearing the field etc, and yet it shoots up at almost exactly 9am every day when I'm already sat down at work and technically resting. I'm starting to wonder if this is a stress or anxiety related?

I thought that I was getting a handle on all this, however today was a very hot day for the UK at 27 degrees Celsius. I was simply walking through the field pushing an empty wheelbarrow when I felt my heart racing. I looked down to check it and it was showing as 145 bpm! I didn't feel otherwise out of breath or like I had exerted myself but I was obviously quite warm.

I still have moderate inflammation and my GI is contemplating a biologic as azathioprine has had little effect after 8 months. I'm totally lost and don't know what to think! Should I see my GP? I feel like this is silly as I have no other effects from it but it is just a niggle that never goes away!

I have almost the exact same problem. Inflammation in the body can cause high heart rate as well. I was getting palpations a while back but went to the hospital, got an EKG, and monitored and they said everything was fine. I also notice it after I eat, my heart will just be trucking away. There must be some correlation between this illness and the heart because it seems like many experience the two together.

I have a history of a high heart rate as well. Sometimes it's when I have a magnesium deficiency. I however have a history of SVT and have had a catheter ablation (surgery on my heart) to help correct this. However, I've still had to stay on my beta blocker medication bc of the tachycardia. Sometimes I wonder about POTS bc I do get dizzy sometimes with standing and it seems that a change in sitting to standing affects my heart. But I haven't actually had it checked out yet.

Hi all!

I gave in and saw my GP today as she had an appointment free that wasn't 3 weeks away like they usually are so I booked before I talked myself out of it!

She had a good listen to my heart and lungs, took blood pressure and asked loads of questions. She asked if I felt at all unwell (I don't, although I think I'm so used to feeling like crap I wouldn't know anyway) and asked if I was jittery. I said no but when she asked me to hold my arms out straight in front of me my left hand was visibly trembling!

Eventually she pulled out a really cool device that I put both thumbs on and it linked to an app on her phone that gives a mini ECG. Just sitting there in the appointment my pulse was 130 - YIKES!

I explained it's normal when sleeping but spikes up and random during the day and she seemed quite concerned. I'm booked in for urgent bloods to check thyroid and a proper ECG, and I go back to see her again on Thursday for the results. She thinks there's a chance it's my antihistamine medication so I'm halving that from today to see what happens.

I'll let you know what the outcome is!

Thanks for listening to me thrash this out with myself for the last couple of months :)

Soph

Hello again everyone, I'm back with an update. My ECG and thyroid blood tests were both normal, although my GP being as thorough as she is decided to do another mini phone app ecg when I saw her today. This time my heart rate was relatively ok at 80 something bpm, but she said the baseline wasn't right and mentioned fibrillation.

I remembered I had an ECG in an ambulance in 2014 and brought the print our along. She said that one was normal and she would be happy if it looked like that today, but something definitely isn't right. It looks like in 3 different ECG's we've caught it in several different states which is enough to convince her something else is going on, although it's difficult to catch it at the right time.

She's referred me to the hospital to wear a portable one for 24 hours and that should give us a clearer picture of any patterns or triggers, although as far as I can tell it's totally random.

Lord knows how long it will take for this to happen but I'm hoping not too long!

Soph

This fascinates me as I have the exact same issue, I also feel my heart pounding away which is a terrible feeling. But sinus tachycardia is not dangerous and I have done echocardiogram and stress test and so on. My heart looks fine.

This fascinates me as I have the exact same issue, I also feel my heart pounding away which is a terrible feeling. But sinus tachycardia is not dangerous and I have done echocardiogram and stress test and so on. My heart looks fine.

After the 24 Hour ECG, the only feedback was ‘nothing worrisome detected’ so that’s obviously a relief. I’m a bit concerned though, just lately when this happens I’ve started to feel lightheaded and a little faint with the episodes. I’ve always noticed my heart races more in hot weather, but that doesn’t explain what’s going on now.

I’m back at the hospital on Thursday so I think I’ll bring it up again then. When I first mentioned it to my IBD nurse she didn’t seem to think it was Crohn’s related, but sternly told me to go and get it checked out. Maybe she’ll have some further advice...

Do not worry about it. What you are describing is near syncope where you almost pass out. It is very distressing and also common in inappropriate sinus tachycardia.
The heart is a strong organ and the patients with chronic sinus tachycardia have been found to have a normal life expectancy with no increased mortality. Although they can usually be anxious because the symptoms are very distressing and can make normal activities very difficult.