• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Heating pad- what are your thoughts ?

heating pad- what are your thoughts ?

Hi there. The heating pad has become my new best friend. Plugged in beside my bed. Seems to relieve a lot of the pain and help with gas issues as well. I'm just wondering if that makes sense with inflammation?

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
Well I am there with you, I use mine alot. Having said that it is better than meds, and it helps the circulation. Works for me.

:welcome: to the forum btw!

Need to get myself one of these. Pain in the butt using my hot water bottle, not only is it a bit heavy to have sitting on my belly but i hate having to get up to change the water when it gets cold lol

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
I love my heating pad! I wouldn't be without it. My best friend is a diagnosed Crohnie, and she tried out my heating pad and loved it. So she asked her fiance to get her one too. Well, he is a bit clueless, and he ended up getting her an electric blanket instead! I'll be getting her a real proper heating pad for xmas. ;) Nobody with tummy troubles should be without one - as Pen said, it can be more effective than meds at times!

I burn out an average of 3 heat pads a year.

Another little trick I learned is to buy Therma Care self heating pads.
They are supposed to be used for the back, but I have learned to put them over my tummy & they help take the edge off.

Beats the heck out of a zillion mile extension cord trailing around behind me. :lol:

suschex

Suzanne
I burn out an average of 3 heat pads a year.

Another little trick I learned is to buy Therma Care self heating pads.
They are supposed to be used for the back, but I have learned to put them over my tummy & they help take the edge off.

Beats the heck out of a zillion mile extension cord trailing around behind me. :lol:
What a great idea...thanks!!!

I never used or needed one until a few months ago. I finally put it away now, but I was really surprised how effective it was.

It was as good as a pain killer.

Dan

I am totally in love with mine as well. I also use the thermacare pads for when I go to work - does beat the trailing cords.

I went to a pain seminar and now know why the heat works - ruined it for awhile for me - but I got over it.

Crohn's 35

Inactive Account
The heat circulates the blood flow and makes the pain go away, not intirely but it works for me...I have 3 of them because I just do lol. Make sure you get AUTO shut off, because you can burn your belly. I fall asleep with it on and goes off by itself. Also great for some people who want a warm bed in the winter! Helps arthritis spots too. Best investment I ever bought! Heehee.

The heat works because the nerves in your skin send "I sense heat" messages to your brain faster than they send pain messages. So your brain "feels" the warmth sooner than the pain and therefore ignores the pain.

The increased circulation is not doing anything to combat the inflammation or the pain - the heat is just fooling the brain into not noticing the pain.

In fact heat is the opposite to what you should do to combat inflammation - RICE rest, ice, compression, elevation - are the steps to reduce inflammation - think sprained ankle.

However, I am not likely to be effective with those things when the inflammation is so internal.

So for awhile, my heating pad didn't work as well for me as I "know" the explanation behind it. I got over it and no longer care that my brain is being fooled and no real "help" to my condition is occuring. I am just glad to get a respite from the pain.

Please be careful with your heating pads! My mom uses one for back aches, and fell asleep with it on and ended up with a third degree burn which then ended up getting infected. She was in the specialty burn unit in critical condition from this.

I advise using a sock full of rice (you can sew the ends closed) and then microwave it. Or buy a gel filled heating pad that microwaves. That way you won't be at risk of a burn.

I have a heating pad with auto shut off - it goes for about 2 hours and then shuts off. I am also careful to not sleep on it. I sleep on my back and lay the heating pad across my stomach.

If I am using the heating pad for my back, I only do that while I am awake so that laying on it will not be an issue.

I can't use a rice sock on my stomach, as the weight of the sock would be painful, the heating pad is very light and casuses no such issues.

I have mine plugged in on my bedside and use it every single night. It seems to help me quiteeeeee a bit. I don't know what I would do without it.

I have noticed the electric heating pad gets way hotter than the rice bag I was using. Mine has the auto switch but I've made a point of watching how hot I set it :)

I also have a heating pad that I keep at bedside that has the auto switch off. I have also the heat patches when you can't be tied up the electic heating pad but be careful because the heat patches work for 8 hours and can cause some skin irritation. I try and save the heat patches for when I am having menstrual cramps and the mini flare as I call it right before my period starts

When I am using the heating pad, I lay it across my nightgown and do not usually put it right against my skin at all.

I have been sleeping with a heating pad for so long. I first was using it for arthritis pain in lower back and hips, and now for everything else! I lay a towel between the pad and myself and have never had any problems with burning. My pad has the 3 heat settings as well, so as a rule, Iturn it to the lowest when I am in bed. It travels with me around the house!! I also enjoy laying on the couch with it, I have evene been known to bring it to the dinner table!!

My boyfriend thinks I spend more time with it than him lol..

But it truly truly helps. I stick with things that work to help with pain. If I don't, I am freakin miserable.

nat

I have heating pads all over the house and at my desk at work. I love them and wouldn't be able to survive without them.

I bought one from walgreens, I love it!! It is extra long so it fits all areas of my abdomin. I think it was a "sunbeam". It cost between 20-30 bucks. It is well worth it though. It has an automatic shutoff so if you happen to fall asleep, it shuts off after a certain time. It also has heat control settings too, which is nice you can control how warm you want it. Definitely worth it. Shoot, my heating pad is my best friend!!!

I only have a hot water bottle but I love it....I think it really only works by giving your body a different sensation to focus on ie: it's feeling the heat rather than the pain but hey I dont really care how it works, it definitly makes me feel better!

My heating pad is from walgreens as well and I only buy the extra long t with Auto shut offs. the auto shut off is key! I've also done the rice in a sock deal, but any weight no matter how little aggrevates the pain, it's like the princess and the pea scenario ('cept I'm not a princess, just high maintenance ) :)

I bought one from walgreens, I love it!! It is extra long so it fits all areas of my abdomin. I think it was a "sunbeam". It cost between 20-30 bucks. It is well worth it though. It has an automatic shutoff so if you happen to fall asleep, it shuts off after a certain time. It also has heat control settings too, which is nice you can control how warm you want it. Definitely worth it. Shoot, my heating pad is my best friend!!!
I hate that mine shuts off automatically!! I wish it'd stay on all night.

I have two. Both are Sunbeams from Walgreens. One at work and one at home. I use them mostly for fistula and joint pain these days although I have certainly had them on my tummy plently.

The one at work is extra long and covers almost the whole chair so I can sit on it for my fistula without it being obvious. Most people assume it is for my back. I just nod and let them think whatever they want.

Hi, any recommendations as to which heating pad to get? I've been getting slot of stomach pains recently so I'm trying everything.

I use hot water bottles. They're cheap and easy to use and easy to buy. The only problem (which would apply to any heating pad) is when the weather is too warm for them to be comfortable. Ice packs help with some types of pain, but with this disease the pain seems to respond best to heat.

CrohnsChicago

Super Moderator
I LOVE my heating pad. This post just made me think to use my microwaveable heating pad tonight to help my tiny (but annoying) flare. :lol: :)

SarahBear

I love my heating pad. :)

I have a relatively cheap CVS brand one with three heat settings - works great for me. I also have body heat patches for when I'm out and about.

My fiancee just made me a magic bag. It's fabric that she sewed up with pearl barley inside. Just stick it in the microwave for a couple minutes or until you get the desired heat level and slap it on your gut. It's amazing!! The first time I used it was when I felt diarrhea coming on and it actually stopped the cramps and I had a regular BM later. Crisis averted!! Been using it when I can ever since.

I use a heating pad all the time. I actually sit on it because it helps the pain from the anal fissure and fistula i have. I just have it plugged in on side of my bed, and when I'm not using it I just tuck it under the bed. So it's easily reached when I need it, and easy to put up. Lol

I use my heating pad all the time too. Mine is also plugged in constantly next to the bed. I find that if I can lie down for an hour or so with it on it really eases the discomfort a lot.

I have 2 that you pop in the microwave, I couldn't do without them, really good at soothing the pain and cramps.

Thank you God for this website! I am new to this disease and to this website. I was worried that a heating pad would or could make it worse but it gave me so much comfort! I am so struggling with all aspects of being new to navigating this disease and I think this website will aid me immensely!:)

hawkeye

Staff member
The heating pad was great for the pain and discomfort from my stricture before I had surgery. I'd recommend buying one with the auto shut off.

Best $20 i ever spent was on my heating pad with the auto shutoff. I keep it by my bed and use it often, sometimes just to relax and sometimes to relieve pain and cramping but it always works great! :)

nogutsnoglory

I like my heating pad I just wish it was hotter I hold it tight. I don't know if it aggravates the inflammation but it helps with pain and gas.

Actually heat soothes a disperses inflamation that's why when people have back or joint pain they recommend hot baths I get pain in my anus from crohn's and a hot bath is a god send for me

I love mine. I have both a heated mattress pad (with optional auto shutoff for 2,4,6 and 8 hours) as well as a microwaveable hot pad. I also have a hot water bottle which stays warm longer but isn't as comfy to sleep with.

Very happy to have just found this forum and glad I'm not the only one with heat pads everywhere! I use alot of the portable click heat pads. The best deal i could find was through a company called HandsOnHeat. I don't know what I would do without intense heat when flare ups happen

I absolutely love my heating pad!!!! My father got me it as a gift after I was diagnosed with crohn's. I have it with me all the time and even at school when I'm having pains.

You know the wide belts from the 80's, well i think i, we, you ~ need to design some that are heating pads on the inside, battery operated ~ so we can wear them anytime and even in public!

Be well, God bless.

I love mine so much! Its also good for my joints too! I also use the ones you can put in the microwave and the lavender/wheat smell seems to help me fall asleep