• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Height in teens

Hey everyone,
I was wondering if any of your kids have had an increase in height and when did you see the results. My son is 16 and 5’6”...hoping to see some growth over the next year or so. He went from 89lbs in November to 111lbs today. That’s such an improvement.

my little penguin

Staff member
Depends
A bone age scan (hand X-ray ) can tell you if his growth plates are closed in the wrist .
My kiddo is 17
But was dx very early at age 7
Getting inflammation under control and adding easy to absorb nutrition is the key
He grew a ton from age 13 to 15 (5 -6”)
Growth slowed a lot by 16
Only grew an inch between 16-17
And may squeak out another inch by 19
He started biologics at age 8 and has been on them ever since
He also was on formula from age 7 (peptamen jr and later neocate jr ) until his growth spurt was done at 15
Now just drinks a few carnation instant breakfast plus normal meals

Crohns can delay growth
The key is to get inflammation under remission before the window closes

Ds is 5’10” and 158 lbs and has been in remission for a few years
He takes Stelara and methotrexate

That’s great for your son! Yes, I think maybe his Crohn’s was caught later, so we lost time unfortunately. I’ll try the bone scan and see.

my little penguin

Staff member
Endocrinologist can help with monitoring growth
But .. if his crohns isn’t under control which seems to be the case or he was on steriods
It will take a while for growth to be seen
Remember short bones (hands /feet ). Grow before long bones (legs and arms )

Hey everyone,
I was wondering if any of your kids have had an increase in height and when did you see the results. My son is 16 and 5’6”...hoping to see some growth over the next year or so. He went from 89lbs in November to 111lbs today. That’s such an improvement.
Our daughter is 25 now and 6’1” tall. She was about 5’5 at the end of middle school About 6 months before being diagnosed. She stalled for few years. 3 years later, on Remicade, she had grown to about 5’11 in the Fall of Junior year (15/16 years old - young for grade and Fall birthday). Before college at almost 18, she grew 2 more inches! I think that It is unusual for a young woman to keep growing — should finish growing by 14 or 15. (Her brother is 6’4”) So, it’s possible!

Many of us have found that our kids put on weight first, and then height followed 6 months or a year later, even when they are past the age of the typical growth spurt. I'm pretty sure that jmrogers' son didn't start Remicade until he was 14 or 15, and he had a big growth spurt after that.

Maya142

Staff member
I would talk to your GI about this, and ask for a referral to an endocrinologist. They can tell you whether his bone age matches up to his real age, or if it is delayed. If it's delayed and the x-ray shows a bone age of 14 for example, then you may have some extra time and he could potentially gain height. However, if his growth plates are closed, then I'm not sure what they can do.

It is also useful to look at his weight and height percentile. For example, if a kiddo has been in the 70th percentile for height from when they were a toddler till they were 10 years old but then dropped to the 20th percentile at age 14, then that's concerning. But if a child (like my daughter) was always naturally petite - she was always around the 10th percentile for height and stayed at that, then less concerning. The same goes for weight.

Your son was diagnosed pretty recently - how is he doing? I'm glad he's gained weight - that's a good sign. Kids typically begin to gain weight and grow only once the inflammation is under control.

Thank you (and everyone else for your responses!) I’ll keep all this in mind. I suppose I’m getting ahead of myself. His Crohn’s does not seem to be under control yet. His major symptoms like throwing up and weight loss are not there anymore thank goodness, but now that he’s no longer on steroids, he has no appetite. It’s a struggle for sure, but he’ll have his 4th infusion in March and they’ll do the blood test to see how well he’s taking to remicade.

I would talk to your GI about this, and ask for a referral to an endocrinologist. They can tell you whether his bone age matches up to his real age, or if it is delayed. If it's delayed and the x-ray shows a bone age of 14 for example, then you may have some extra time and he could potentially gain height. However, if his growth plates are closed, then I'm not sure what they can do.

It is also useful to look at his weight and height percentile. For example, if a kiddo has been in the 70th percentile for height from when they were a toddler till they were 10 years old but then dropped to the 20th percentile at age 14, then that's concerning. But if a child (like my daughter) was always naturally petite - she was always around the 10th percentile for height and stayed at that, then less concerning. The same goes for weight.

Your son was diagnosed pretty recently - how is he doing? I'm glad he's gained weight - that's a good sign. Kids typically begin to gain weight and grow only once the inflammation is under control.

My son was 5'0" at age 14. He probably had the beginning of Crohn's but it was undiagnosed. He had delayed puberty. He was about 5'5" at age 15, and at age 16, probably about 5'6" and very thin. He was diagnosed at age 19. He was 5'8" by that time but that would be a normal height for our male family members. His weight shot up after he started treatment which was much needed. The Crohn's did not hinder his height.

my little penguin

Staff member
Is he willing to drink shakes ?
Any shakes will do as long as they are not replacing meals
Our Gi suggest anything they are willing to drink
Carnation instant breakfast
Ensure
Boost
Etc...
Those help with weight

Yes, he’s still on shakes. He’s been able to stick to 7 ensures daily since November with limited food. But for the past week (surely due to the prednisone dose ending) he’s sick and tired of them. Yesterday all he had was 4 shakes, and some food here and there. I’m afraid that this will become a habit and he’ll lose all the weight he gained. Does this mean the remicade is not working? I suppose we’ll find out soon. Trying to stay hopeful.

QUOTE="my little penguin, post: 1034567, member: 100118"]
Ensure
Boost
Etc...
Those help with weight
[/QUOTE]
Ensure
Boost
Etc...
Those help with weight

my little penguin

Staff member
So prednisone can cause water weight
The longer your on it the more likely to have water weight gain
This goes away slowly once your off steriods
It could be the I am hungry due to steriods weight gain
That doesn’t go away unless you eat less

as far as tired of ensure
There are different flavors
Changing to boost ..??.?.
is he suppose to stay on formula only Woth only a tiny bit of food ?
Or can he switch to three meals a day
Two snacks and 2-3 shakes ???

Try tracking calories in my fitness pal
teen Boys need a lot of calories 2600-3200 a day without exercise