• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hello all - diagnosed for a year...

So many stories here are familiar...

I'm 57 and was diagnosed with Crohn's a year ago after the usual trauma of constant diarrhea and a perianal absyss. I'd lost 15 kilos.

They put me on Prednisone which, despite all those nasty side-effects, was almost miraculous in stopping the flare and now I'm on Imuran (200mg/day) and a smigin of Pred (1.5mg/day).

The good news is that the Imuran is really working well for me - to the extent I was confident enough to spend three weeks camping in the Simpson desert in Australia with medical help unavailable.

My daily symptoms are mild discomfort in the stomach and fairly loose BMs. Things could be a lot worse.

Anyhow, this is just to say hello - so hello!

Dexky

To save time...Ask Dusty!
Hi JT and welcome!! I don't have crohns and I don't know if I could handle a three week camping trip in the desert. Sounds as though you have things under control!! Hope it stays that way!! Do you live in Oz? Good luck!!!

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Hi JT and :welcome:

Good to have you here. I'm so glad that things have settled for you and the meds are working well! This is a fab place for support and info so I hope you stick around, you will be a most welcome addition. Welcome aboard!

Take care, :)
Dusty

Astra

Hi JT
and welcome

Yes Pred is a miraculous med! healed me nicely!
glad your meds have things under control, I'm not sure whether I'd cope in the desert without me luxuries! ie toilet and bath!
glad you found us, lots of friends here for you
lotsa luv
Joan xxx

Thanks for the warm welcome! Yes, I live in Canberra, Australia and live an active life, curtailed for a while by the disease. I'd never heard of Crohn's disease before I was diagnosed but I've been surprised by how many people have it...a bloke I've been working with for years, for example.

Incidentally, I tried the SCD diet for six months but it didn't work for me.

Astra, the desert in winter is so beautiful you soon forget about personal hygiene - and everyone is equally on the nose!