• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hello All,new boy....

Hello everyone,

I've had Crohn's for about 17 years now,it came on after a bad diet,bad sleep pattern,smoking,drinking and stress.

I had one 10 day spell in hospital about 5 years ago,but no operation.They pumped me full of drugs and I got better.Since then I've tried to improve my diet.

I take Budenofalk and Azathioprine daily.
These tablets seem to work well as long as watch my diet and exercise abit,something I don't always manage as well as I should.

I stopped smoking many years ago,maybe a dozen or so.I enjoy a beer now and again,buit may go a month without.

Greetings

Strummer

afidz

Super Moderator
Hey strummer! Welcome to the forum
Its great to hear you are doing well. I had to quit smoking earlier on in the year but I ended up picking it up again, it takes a lot of strength to quit, good job!
What kind of diet or exercise program do you follow?

Hey strummer! Welcome to the forum
Its great to hear you are doing well. I had to quit smoking earlier on in the year but I ended up picking it up again, it takes a lot of strength to quit, good job!
What kind of diet or exercise program do you follow?
Hello there afidz,thanks for the welcome.Well I have to admit my exercise regime has fallen apart for a while now,i put on 25klgs,lost muscule,this is why i'm now 6 days into a juice fast.I lost a very encouraging 7 or 8 klgs!The weight loss was mainly in the first 4 days,now it's slowed up.
I'm trying to motivate myself back to what I was doing about 9 months ago and what I had been doing for about 2 years.
Weights,machines or free and jogging.Repitions of 8x2 on various parts of the body.I jogged on a 'step machine' at my old gym as my knees are not the best due to work and over 20 years of football (soccer :) which is my favourite sport ).Oh i'm 51 years old,a football fan rather than player these days.
I'm no muscule man,just over 6ft and slim (when I've not put on 25klgs),but I was in pretty good shape a few months ago.
I moved house and one or two other things occurred and I slipped into some bad habits exercise and diet wise (or unwise as the case may be).
Not sure how much exercise I should do on whilst juice fasting,but once some weight is lost my plan is for juices,chicken,beef,rice,milk,raw eggs,bannana's.None or little bread,butter,tinned foods,spuds etc.

Oh and by the way,you have quite likely heard of this but just incase,i found reading "Easy Way To Stop Smoking" by Allen Carr a great help to stop smoking.I was on 30 'ciggs' a day ,but stopped.

afidz

Super Moderator
If you are going to go back to exercising make sure you intake enough calories and nutrition as needed, you don't want to stress your body into a flare.
I always get so confused because here we don't use the metric system. So I have no idea what a kilogram is to a pound. or what Celsius is to Farenheit . Its silly really. I can look it up no problem its just a matter of doing it
I have not heard of that book, I will check into it thanks!

Thanks for the advice.Over many seasons of football I learnt the hard way not to come back from injury too quickly.I think i'll stick to walks and cycling abit whilst fasting,but on a change of diet i'll re-introduce myself to 'training'.

Not sure if we share the same weight measurements,but my loss in UK pounds is about 15.4,that's 7 klgs.

1 klg is 2.2 UK pounds,that might help if US and UK pounds are the same.

I believe the success rate of the stop smoking book I mentioned is apparently very high.