• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hello all new diagnosis

I am newly diagnosed but have had stomach problems for more than 4 years: gallbladder problem (removed), told I had inflammation indicative of crohns, then told by another gastro dr. I did not have crohns and was put on a gluten free diet for almost 3 years. I began having problems like diahrrea even on the GF diet. I was having night sweats, fever, swollen joints, anemia, fatigue, horrific diahrrea.Lastly, had excrutiating stomach pain and went to ER in the spring of 2012. Still told by ER dr. that I had inflammation in small intestine (ileitis) but I did not have crohns. My GI dr. did a colonoscopy. I had inflammation and what looked to be a stricture, no ulcers. Was sent home after being told to take prilosec and a fiber pill daily. I knew there was something wrong my GI ignored all my symptoms, high WBC count, pain, etc. To make a long story short, I switched doctors and found a great one who took my symptoms seriously and ran a lower bowel follow through. My blood work did not show the classic markers for crohns, but I definitely have it. I guess what I'm trying to say is even if a dr tells you one thing don't take it as written in stone. You know your body better than anyone and get a second, third, fourth opinion until you find a dr. that will help you. I am angry that I wasted three years listening to a dr. that didn't take my health as seriously as I do. This site has helped me so much because some days I feel I can handle this disease and some days I get really down about it and how it has affected my life and how it will affect my life in the future. When I read other posts on here, I feel as if someone understands what I am going through and that I am not so alone. I am still in the stage of finding the right meds so I don't know if I will be put on anything stronger than prednisone and pentasa as I am having symptoms since beginning to wean off the pred. Dr. talking about imuran and remicade and I'm not too sure about either one.

Diagnosed June 2012
Pentasa 8 capsules daily
Prednisone 20 mg

David

Co-Founder
Hi Vonnie, thank you for sharing your story :) I'm sure you've seen them by now, but under our Treatment forum we have forums dedicated to Imuran and Remicade if you want to read up more on those treatment options. Or if you have specific questions or concerns, that would be a great place to post them so people can help.

I'm so sorry your past doctors didn't listen to you :( That must have been so frustrating. I'm glad you have a good one now though!

Angrybird

Hello Vonnie and welcome to the the forum :bigwave: It is always disappointing when I hear of another doc who has not given the the right care and treatment, good for you for seeking another opinion and getting on the right road to diagnosis.

As already mentioned do check out the treatment forum about the Imuran and Remi. I have been on both and they did a really good job for the tum, it was such a shame that I had reactions that meant I had to stop them, I know for others they have done the trick.

Wishing you all the best.

AB
xx