• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hello all, new here and undiagnosed.

Hi,

I'm glad to find these forums and to find some support and information about gastrointestinal problems. Helps to know I'm not the only one with problems!

My Story:
About 4 years ago I got a horrible stomach ache and constant puking. I went to the ER and had a bowel obstruction at the terminal ileum. The obstruction quickly cleared itself and I was sent home with antibiotics.

A year later I had a second attack and obstruction. This one was a lot worse and I had to do the NG tube, etc. I got a LOT of expensive tests to see what was wrong w/ me. Did the colonoscopy, barium enema and a few others I cant remember. The tests were all inconclusive and they were just categorizing these attacks either some kind of general colitis or as Meckel's diverticulum.

I was in remission so to speak for 3 years until a couple of weeks ago :( This time I only had a parital obstruction but had a very bad infection and abscess. Was in the hospital for 5 days and been on antibiotics. Right now they are thinking it is either a Meckels near the terminal ileum, IBD or Crohn's disease. I've been in so much pain this time around and have had pain and the big D as you guys call it since I left the hospital. I'm getting another colonoscopy on Tuesday to hopefully get a diagnosis. Also getting an endoscopy at the same time to check for a gluten allergy. And if that doesn't work I might do one of those camera pills that I'll swalllow and have it take pictures.

Really scared to be diagnosed w/ something like Crohns. And if that is the case I'm hoping to fight it w/ diet changes and probiotics, etc. In fact I will likely do those in any case.

Thanks for reading!

Edit: I'm a 33yo male.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum, badbelly. I hope they are able to get to the bottom of your issues with out a CD diagnosis, too. But if you find yourself with that dx, this is a place full of wonderful, knowledgeable people with a wealth of information.

You may want to check out the Diet Forum, as you stated that it would interest you to treat with diet and supplements.

I do hope you are feeling better soon and the colonscopy brings answers you are looking for.

David

Co-Founder
Hi there and welcome to the community! I'm so sorry to hear of your struggles, that's rough :(

Hopefully it's not Crohn's but if it is, as Clash said, you're in the right place. But with the abscess, I'd be a little weary of fighting it with diet alone. But we're jumping steps here. Let's first see what the colonoscopy comes back with.

Please keep us updated!

Thanks for the welcomes. I got the biopsies back from the GI and they found a lot of inflammation and some granuloma. They also saw a lot of ulcers all the way up to my terminal ileum. The GI is diagnosing it as Crohns based on the biopsies and pictures they took, so I guess I'm joining the Crohns club. I've already found a wealth of information on this site and looking forward to learning more and treatment then hopefully remission.

afidz

Super Moderator
I am sorry about your diagnosis badbelly :(
But as said, you are in a great place. There are so many knowledgeable people on this forum that are more than willing to share what they know!
I know you plan to change your diet, has your doctor discussed his plans for treatment yet? Is it in your ileum?

I am sorry about your diagnosis badbelly :(
But as said, you are in a great place. There are so many knowledgeable people on this forum that are more than willing to share what they know!
I know you plan to change your diet, has your doctor discussed his plans for treatment yet? Is it in your ileum?
Yeah it's in the ileum. The doctor said he wants to start me on prednisone, so I might take a course of that after I do some more research on it. He also said he is open to me starting on a biologic if I am more comforatable doing that. I'm looking in to those options as well as medical marijuana.

afidz

Super Moderator
Prednisone can have some bad side effects, but it is very effective for most people, in my case, it saved my life and helped me go into remission. It is not meant to be a long term treatment, and you have to slowly taper off of it at the end. Despite all of the side effects I had gotten, to me, it was worth it.
I was also put on Humira during my last flare when I started tapering off of the prednisone, and I also contribute my success and remission to that.
There are pros and cons of all the meds for Crohn's, its just a matter of discussing all of your options with your doctor.