• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hello all! Quick introduction.

Hi there! I'll keep this as short as possible. :boring:

I've had Crohns for the past 36 years. I was diagnosed at 13 by Children's Hospital in Boston and was treated by the amazing Dr. Richard Grand. I wonder what he's doing now? Anyway, while under his care we were trying all the mainstay and still used medications(sulfasalazine, prednisone, asacol and many others!).

At 22 and a couple of resections later, I finally received a total colectomy/partial ileostomy-best decision I could have made at the time-and a brave one at 22! :lol:

Over the years I had the usual partial and painful blockages until my stoma ulcerated and I needed a revision of the stoma. Excellent! Not really.

After surgery my surgeon(wonderful man who meant well) was headed on vacation and wanted to see me happy etc...and removed my NG tube too early. This did NOT go well....my intestinal tract failed to "wake" and I ended up in cardiac arrest and staph Infection/steptic.

Yet another revision along with troublemaking adhesions removal a few days later would ultimately solve the problem-but leave behind enterocutaneous fistulas on the belly where the scar was located. Egads!

At long last, REMICADE started in 1995 and proved to be my savior as far as meds go. Other than occasional blockages, I've been doing wonderfully until I started receiving strange bouts of indigestion of late.

Feel free to contact me anytime about your Crohns battle. I'll answer any questions and/or offer any support that I can possibly give. Your body can have a tough battle with this disease, but your spirit won't be broken. :)

dave13

Forum Monitor
Wow,CrohnsinMa,welcome.Quite the synopsis of a lifelong journey.I agree with DJW,you can be a good resource.Glad you have a positive approach to CD!

David

Co-Founder
Hey there and welcome to the community! I'm so glad Remicade has been such an amazing drug for you for so long. That makes me happy.

Please keep us updated as to how you're doing and let us know if there's anything we can do for you.