• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hello All

I am new here and I am glad that I have found this forum already, just by reading some post that I can relate to.

Back in 1981 I started having abscesses (or something like that) around by anus area.
I had around 3-5 surgery's, opening the abscesses up and trying to get them to heal from the inside out.
Finally the Doc decided after a year or so of no improvement , to put me in a colostomy (still have it to this day), to divert the stool in hopes of healing.
Also during that surgery he did a through inspection of my Lower and Upper intestines.
After more surgery's and not getting anywhere, he shipped me off to Mayo Clinic, around 1984 I believe. Sorry about the vagueness on dates, been so long and I cope with the pain by putting it out of my mind.

Mayo sent me thru the gauntlet of tests and determined that I had Crohns disease of the rectum, and that is what was causing the problems.
So they removed my rectum and after healing from that they aggressively cleaned out my abscesses/fistulas every 4 weeks for about a year , until they thought they got them under control.

Must also note that I have NO other crohns related symptoms other than these abscess.

So now every 5-7 years or so I have a flare up with 2 spots that keep coming back. Do surgery on them and it helps but they keep coming back.

About 2 years ago it started up again and it bursts on its own and has been draining since. I have 2 openings that are draining and one of them is really sore and looks like it is on fire.

Went back to my surgeon , he had moved to a new office and lost all my records and had the nerve to say that I am confused and maybe he never so me before.
Not to happy with him and he just gives me some flagyl and tells me to put honey on it.
doesn't even have me come back for a follow up .

I decide to just put up with the on and off again pain of it, as long as it was still draining. until about a month ago , I had enough of a sore butt.Go back to him and he sends me to a another doctor at a chronic wound center, first thing the nurse says, he is going to want to do surgery. I am self employed and cannot be laid up for more than a couple of days.

GOD help me, isn't there anything out there other then having them put a knife to my butt. all there is is scare tissue from all the other operations.(last count was in the 20's)

Sorry I am venting and probably not making much sense here.
Just looking for some good advise if possible.

Thanks so much
Mike

Jim (POPS)

Jim (Pops)
Hi MikeM and welcome to the forum, I hope you find the support that I have here.

I don't have the same problum as you but wanted to welcome you and tell you that there are people in here that will relate to what you are going through. Keep your head up man, you will get better.

Jim (Pops)

Angrybird

Hello Mike and welcome to the forum.

I am sorry to hear you are having these ongoing problems with abscesses :( Out of interest are you on any medications for your crohn's? I don't have any experience with abscesses myself but do check out our sub forum for these as the folks here will perhaps have some helpful advice for you: http://www.crohnsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=76.

Wishing you all the best.

AB
xx

Thanks all for the warm wishes

Angrybird , no I am not on any med's , some flagyl, heavy doses by IV during my early years and by pills after that when I would have a abcsess that hadn't burst yet.
I will check out the other forum thanks for the link,

Mike