• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hello Crohnies !

Hi everyone, I'm Dave and I have just recently been diagnosed with Crohn's, also a few months previous to this I was diagnosed with ankylosing spondylitis (an inflammatory spinal disease) and I’m HLA-B27 positive (an “autoimmune marker”).

I'm 41 and have struggled with achey joints and a bad back since my teens, the doctors never seemed to take my complaints seriously and would advise me to take Ibuprofen etc (this would often give me abdominal aches/ bloody stools) luckily, over the years I learnt to self medicate with Cannabis- a practice that I believe has helped me ward off Crohn's and keep the spinal disease in check for many years.

Last year I had a bad dose of food poisoning, I was feeling achey and tired and I unwisely took Ibuprofen and Iron tablets, I then got more food poisoning, all during a relatively short period of time. At the same time as this I had reduced my cannabis use due to new restrictive drug driving laws here in UK and it was at this point that my ankylosing spondylitis grew into Crohn’s.

I have found the link between Crohn’s and ankylosing spondylitis is an overgrowth of a bacteria called Klebsiella pneumonia that lives on starches/sugar. I have been following a low starch/sugar diet and I am taking cannabis regularly and I’m getting control over this condition without using pharmaceuticals.

Personally I don’t really buy all this “auto immune” stuff and I’m not into taking pharmaceuticals on a daily basis, but I’m here with an open mind to learn and share alike – Thanks for taking the time to read a bit about me :D

Welcome, Dave. I am sorry for what you have gone through. You have found a good place to come to though. I am going to tag Maya 142.