• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hello crohns forum

Hi, I was diagnosed with crohns 18 months ago. I work as a paramedic in London and am worried as my consultant wants to start me on azathioprine after my first 3 months on steroids. I understand that this has some nasty side effects and reduces your immune system. My job involves constantly working with very sick people who usually are undiagnosed. I have young children and would dread the thought of catching and passing things on to them due to this. Sorry for introducing myself with a question, this is my first time on a forum.

Hi and welcome! Wow, that's really tough. Since the symptoms of Crohn's are caused by your immune system, many of the drugs used to treat it will work by suppressing our immune system, leaving us more susceptible to infection. And to add to that, if left untreated Crohn's can cause significant damage to our GI tracts, possibly requiring surgery in the future. It's a difficult situation. I find that I need to avoid crowds and anyone who's exhibiting any symptoms. Best of luck in your decision, and in the meantime, keep up the hand washing! :)

David

Co-Founder
Greetings and welcome to the community. Out of curiosity, did you express your concerns to your Consultant? If so, what did they say?

All my best to you.

nogutsnoglory

Welcome to the forum. You have a very legitimate concern being around sick people and I would discuss it with your doctor. I am sure as a medical professional you get regular TB tests and immunizations?

Are most of your cases involving non-contagious ppl or is it mixed? A mask would be helpful if they are contagious.

As a Nurse working with the ill on a daily basis ( when I was well enough to work) but, still on immune suppressant meds I just did what I have always done..

Treat each patient as if they have a comunicable disease and use all contact precautions, gloves, masking, frequent hand washing.

I had a change of shoes to come home with and left my clogs at work as to not bring anything home.

I hope this tid bit helps, but also check with your Doctor and seek his/her advice as well.

Happy Holiday's and keep us posted!

Michele

Are you required to have a flu shot as ab EMT? If not I'd look into that. Id look into some extra OJ in the start of your shift. I get OJ with calcium added.