• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hello! crohns patient of 10 years with issues

Hi everyone! I am Jonathan sheehan. I am 24 years old and am from Thomasville, Alabama. I was diagnosed with crohns disease at the ripe age of 14 years old. I went thru stages of ignorance believing that I was normal if I didn't take my med and the at the age of 21 began to realize that I wasn't superman. Wednesday a week ago I began passing significant amounts of blood in my stool with no pain. My GI doctor wasn't available to see me for a week. So, I went to a local GP where he increased my meds. Saturday I began nearly pass get out. The following day we pulled my blood counts. My count was a 9 which wasn't to bad. The following day we pulled more blood and I was down to 8 and less than 2 hours later I was down to a 7. I wasn't even able to take 3 steps with out fainting. I have received 3 unit so of blood and am still at a 7.6 blood level. They have since put me on a liquid only diet and are going to start transfusing more blood. They also have located a fistula that is connecting my colon to my bladder. My current treatments include 1500mg of pentasa, 1500mg azathioprine, 325 iron 3 times a day, antibiotics, protonics, iv fluids, and steroid shots. I haven't seen much of a difference as far as bleeding reduction. How long before they find a new course of treatment or are there any other treatments I should be looking at. I've only had 2 cups of chicken broth in the past two days. I look forward to researching topics here on you community site and maybe one day I will be able to add my own information to help someone in the future.

Jonathan sheehan

Hi Jonathon

I am also on Pentsa and Azathioprine. How long have you been on them? They can take a while to work. It is better to give them a go before moving to the next level of treatment. It does get better.

I have been on azathioprine and pentasa for a week as of today. I received three units of blood yesterday and they are about to start another blood transfusion now. They also just moved me to no food or fluid intake by mouth. The only oral I take I am now allowed to have is water only when I take my meds. I haven't ever experience this amount of bleeding. Usually I only experience pains. It's rather strange.

I believe I was told the azathioprine takes 2-3 months to work. Is there another covering GI that you can see? It sounds like an emergency with that much blood loss. Are you currently in a hospital?

What does your doctor say when you asked where the blood is coming from? Have you considered asking to be transferred to a bigger hospital with a gastroenterologist?