• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hello everyone newly diagnosed with ulcerative colitis

Hey I'm 18 years old I found out less than a month ago I have ulcerative colitis. After spending a month complaining of blood in my stools and pain I headed off to the doctors only to be told "its a cut causing the blood" nothing to worry about. They said the cause of diarrhoea will just be a tummy bug that will pass. It didn't pass, my bowel movements kept getting worse so did the pain. So off I went back to the doctors, this time around they thought it was a parasite. After stool tests came back clear but blood tests didn't I had my first colonoscopy which was originally just meant to be a flexi sigmoidoscopy. The nurse tired to convince me to have this with no sedation. There was no way anyone was putting anything up there with me wide awake so I insisted on having sedation, which luckily I did because the doctor ended up preforming a colonoscopy. He later said I really must have been going over ten times a day because I didn't have the usual laxatives they give you to take the day before.

They put me on Pentasa 8 pills a day, which didn't help if anything made me feel worse. I am currently still on the Pentasa and 20 mg of Prednisone. I'm currently feeling a wee bit funny I guess you could say on the Prednisone but my bowel movements are definitely decreasing but the other side effects aren't that much fun. I've been getting quite a bit of joint pain, trouble sleeping, shaky hands. Not sure how long I will be on the Prednisone for but hopefully not much longer.

I'm so glad to have found this forum and know I'm not alone! :)

Welcome to the forum! I'm sorry to hear that you were diagnosed with UC but at least you have a clear answer instead of still searching for a diagnosis. On prednisone you are going to feel weird. I don't know if you have looked up any side effects but some of the more common ones are cloudy head, what I like to call it when you can't get your thoughts straight, puffy face, weight gain, etc. But it is different for everyone. I am on Pentasa too at the moment and I can say that it helped me when I first was put on it but now it is just pills that I take it really has no effect on me. It stopped taking effect after like 2 months I was on it so you may be experiencing the same thing.
The best advice I can give you right now is that the thing that is probably going to help you the most is changing your diet. It may be a big change to make but small ones at first really do help.
I hope you find all the answers you need on this site and that you are feeling better!