• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hello everyone!!

Hello everyone!
My name is Thor, I am 22 years old and just found out on the 19th of march I
have Crohn's after going through a CT scan and Colonoscopy.. which was extremely painful but im glad it was done..

Anyway what i am wondering because I wasn't really explained, was how to know if i have a flare up? or will I just know.. eg all my Stomach cramps and
so on..

Looking forward to getting to know as much of you as i can :)

Cheers Thor

SarahBear

Welcome to the forum, Thor!

A flare up will usually consist of the same symptoms you've been feeling. When you go into remission, there should be very few or no symptoms. When or if symptoms return, it's most likely a flare. If there's blood in your bowel movements, that would generally indicate a flare - but there doesn't have to be blood for it to be a flare. You should be able to tell fairly easily once you get more familiar with what is normal for your body and Crohn's.

Have you started any medication to treat your Crohn's and put you into remission? What symptoms were you experiencing that lead to your diagnosis?

:hug: I hope you feel better soon!

Angrybird

Hello and welcome to the forum :)

As mentioned above a flare will be when you start experiencing symptoms the same or similar to what you currently have been having, when in remission you shouldn't really have any problems at all. Have you been started on any meds at all yet and if so what have you been put on? I would also advise that regular check get done on your vitamin levels and that it is worth keeping a food diary so you can pinpoint problems in this area.

Wishing you all the best.

AB
xx

Have you started any medication to treat your Crohn's and put you into remission? What symptoms were you experiencing that lead to your diagnosis?

:hug: I hope you feel better soon!
Well I have been started on Pentasa? 4x500g pills in morning and then again at dinner.. also on antibiotics(metronidazole 1 pill 400mg 3 times a day)

I actually didn't experience too much.. awful stomach cramps.. and every now and again some diarrhea. No bleeding etc.. my doctor thought I just had irritable Bowel Syndrome.. but then the pain got worse so was sent to hospital where they did further tests.

What I would love to know is how long does it take for remission to start?
or should it have already.
How do I know what foods will affect me? like how long after I eat it would I know?

Would love the help :)

Thanks everyone!
Thor

SarahBear

How long it takes to achieve remission varies greatly from person to person. The medication you're on can play a role as well. Pentasa usually takes around three months to work fully (but that doesn't mean it can't work before then). Were you given any steroids, or just the antibiotics?

Knowing what foods affect you is tricky. The best thing to do is keep a food journal. It can help you connect symptoms to specific foods.

I hope that helps!

Were you given any steroids, or just the antibiotics?
No steroids because I believe there was a abscess or something, sorry I don't know too much.. but they said it could be dangerous too use steroids.

They didn't tell me too much. Was really just told/given meds then kicked out haha.. but I do have a follow up in 3-4 weeks I believe for any questions.

Angrybird

Food wise it usually only takes a few hours - 24 at the most - for you to know whether your tummy does not agree with it. Common problem areas high fat, high fibre foods and anything with pips and seeds, caffeine is also an issue for a lot of people here. When you see the doc in a couple of weeks I would also try and get further info regarding what they during your testing so you can be fully informed on your disease activity. Pleas keep us updated on how you get on.