• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hello Everyone!

Hello all,
My name is Brandy and I have Crohn's like many of you. I was diagnosed about 9 years ago and have been through many struggles since. I have tried a few different medications and ended up on Humira. It worked on the symptoms for awhile but then I began getting abscesses all over my body. After many trips to the dermatologist, GI Dr. and an infectious disease Dr. we decided to try and stop the Humira. I have not taken Humira for a year now and have not gotten another abscess since. I was medicine free for a few moths but the symptoms started up again so I currently on Entocort. I have had two surgeries since my diagnoses but feel blessed to be feeling good now. I have never really thought of myself as sick because I do not want this disease to define who I am or what I can do so I tend to ignore it, which I know does not help.
The other day there was a blood bus at my work so I signed up to give blood. When I got to the bus I was asked a series of questions and was denied to be able to give blood..... I have never felt so little. At that moment I hated Crohn's and decided that I want to do something to help cure it.
I recently signed up for the Crohn's and Colitis Foundations Team Challenge which is a fundraiser that will help in the search of a cure for Crohn's & Colitis. I will be running a half marathon in Napa as part of the challenge and it is my goal to raise $4400. If you would like to donate to help this cause please let me know and I will send you the link.
I am currently training for the marathon and have noticed that I get Crohn's symptoms after running. Has anyone else experienced this?

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
Hi, welcome to the forum. :) To answer your question, yes, I have heard a few others on here say that they get diarrhea after running - I think this is fairly common even among "healthy" people too. I've tried running myself but I now have arthritis in both hips and it's just too painful - but on the few times I've tried to run, I sometimes get lower abdominal pains. I presume it's all the jolting and jarring but don't know for sure. Other athletic activity, including weight lifting and bicycling, do not affect my guts in this way (and don't bother my hips either), so it seems to just be a running thing.

There are a few other runners on the forum so I'll tag them here - Alliruns and Hawkeye are the two that come to mind.

Hello all,
I am currently training for the marathon and have noticed that I get Crohn's symptoms after running. Has anyone else experienced this?
Hey Brandy, your attitude is admirable. And I think it's great you do a lot of sport. I personally benefit a lot from running, rowing and doing sport generally, but I admit I seldomly run more than 10km, so definitely not marathon territory. If I exhausted myself too much in the past (2-3 hours of tennis or football) that definitely wasn't good. However, in general, I feel sweating actually helps with remission.

All the best to you,
Alex

Hi Brandy, it's true, even healthy people get diarrhea while running. There are things you can do to minimize it.

Having your disease under control in general
Paying attention to what you eat before and cutting out anything that seems to trigger it, for example, for me, whole wheat pasta is a big no no before a long run or race
Staying well hydrated
Running at the same time every day to allow your body to get use to it
Avoid running in high heat.

I'm a marathoner, so drop me a PM if you have any other questions.

Hello :)

Its really impressive what you are planning to do and I wish you lots of luck with the running :)

Once upon another lifetime I did a little bit of running, part of a marathon relay, I definitely noticed that when I got more active my bowels did too and I didn't have crohns then. I think it's just the bodies way of regulating itself.

Hope you get some beneficial suggestions :). Good luck and take care.