• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hello Everyone!

Hi, my name is Nick! Just stopping by to introduce myself. I just found out about this place, and plan to visit as often as I can!

Anyway, here goes my shot at explaining "my story" and introducing myself to all of you.

---

Since about around July of 2012, I started noticing that I wasn't having solid stools anymore. I didn't think much of it, just thought it was maybe some stomach bug that would pass, and of course, it didn't. It slowly got worse as months passed (Yeah, months, because I was too stubborn and dumb to go to the hospital). I eventually started to notice some mucus-like stuff along with every bowel movement, and sometimes small traces of blood. Also, my stool color just got darker over time to an almost black color, probably from the blood. My appetite started to go away as well, it got to the point where I could only manage to eat about 3 or 4 bites of something, and just start feeling sick at my stomach and have to stop eating totally. I am a 23 year old guy, and weighed 127lbs at about 5' 11, give or take an inch.

Fast-forward to now, I waited until I had a pretty bad anal fistula which I thought was just a hemherrhoid I had developed from having to use the bathroom so much. That caused me so much pain to the point where I was basically bed-ridden. It hurt to walk, sit, stand, sneeze, cough, EVERYTHING just hurt to do.

So, while trying to "ease the pain" in a sitz bath, I finally decided, "I think it's time to go to the hospital." A decision I regret so bad for not doing long ago.

I went to the ER, they took some blood, stool and urine samples and they recommended I see a Gastro doc to have a colonoscopy or endoscopy to really find out what's wrong. I ended up having to prep for a colonoscopy (fun! lol) and on December 9 when I had the operation, I found out that I have Crohn's Disease.

---

I go back the Dr. tomorrow actually to find out more of what's going to happen. For the last 2 weeks though, I have been on Prednisone (40mg a day) Flagyl & Cipro. I'm down to only the Prednisone now, which I will start tapering by 1/2 a tablet every week starting Saturday.

I'm just so happy to be/feel better now!! I have an appetite that I just can't seem to please, and just feel better in general having everything under control. It's honestly given me a more positive outlook on life. I think I waited so long, and let myself flare up so much off and on to the point where I thought I was somewhat depressed.

I know I'm in for a long ride, though, but I'm ready for it with positive thoughts!

Thank you for reading my story! :poop:

Hi Nick,

Thanks for sharing your story. It sounds very similar to mine, although I'm a few years older than you. Basically I had similar symptoms to you for years which I also ignored.

I was diaognosed last week following coloonoscopy etc and also on pred. I've to go back to Drs soon too to discuss strategy. It will be interesting to compare and contrast our journeys.

Take care,

Eric.

David

Co-Founder
Hey there Nick and welcome to the community. :) Thanks for sharing your story!

I'm so glad you're feeling better! That's wonderful. Please keep us updated as to how you're doing and what treatment plan your GI transitions you to as you wean off of the prednisone.

We're here for you anytime you need us.

Welcome to the community! Glad to hear you are getting some relief, definitely keep us updated :)

Thank you all! I found out Friday that it looks like I'm going to start taking Azathioprine and doing Remicade treatments pretty soon.

Just hoping everything goes smooth when I start!

"I know I'm in for a long ride, though, but I'm ready for it with positive thoughts!"

After dealing with my crohn's sense 1969 when I was a kid I've learned staying positive is one of the best medicines there is. Humira certainly has helped but my mind set I believe is just as important. It's hard to stay strong, positive with this wonderful disease but don't let it defeat you life has to many wonderful adventures to offer even to those of us with crohn's.

I hope all is going well and Happy Holidays to you.

Hi Nick,

I thought I'd drop you a line and see how you're keeping and getting on with the azothiophene? I hope you are well.

I saw my gastroenterologist the other day having done blood test etc. I'm still very inflamed despite being on prednisolone for best part of 2 months. Must say I've felt much better since the pred. Dr has now prescribed budenofalk and azathioprine.

nogutsnoglory

Welcome to the forum. Let us know when you start Azathioprine and Remicade and let us know how you're doing. I'm glad prednisone is helping you but I'm also happy to hear you are tapering because it's just too much on the body after a while.