• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hello everyone

Hi Everyone,

My name is Nick. Tis' nice to be joining you on this forum for the first time.

I've had Crohn's since I was 12 years of age. It was fairly low key for the first 18 years but the last 8 (I'm 38 now for the non-mathematicians out there!) has been a right pain in the arse. Literally, as we all know.

I've spent 5 of the last 8 years on steroids either predfoam or oral prednisone, I've tried Remicade and Humira to no avail but the disease is persistent and active.

I developed fistulas about three years ago and had to return from working in Sydney to my home town of Dublin to get proper medical attention - I hadn't qualified for medicare in Australia and things were starting to get expensive especially as I was unable to work (I was doing freelance IT work).

The last couple of years have seen me going from severe symptoms with fistulae and a weight of 50kg(110 lbs) to moderate if persistent symptoms and a weight of 65kg(143 lbs). I've started a business which allows me to work from home and I've also managed to get married and have a beautiful baby boy so in general, I feel life is good.

I'm going to start screening for the Vedolizumab trial in the next couple of weeks so if I qualify, I hope to keep you up to date with how that is going.

I look forward to chatting with you all!

Nick

My Butt Hurts

Squeals-a-lot!
Awesome that you're taking part in that trial. We all appreciate that.
Congrats on your little boy, and welcome to the forum!
MBH

Hi Nick, I'm from Derry so i'm not too far away from you. You seem to have had a tough time with it. Hopefully you can get some relief when you start the trial buddy!!!!!!!

Welcome Nick!
I recently joined here too. In fact, I'm new to the whole IBD experience. I'm on Pred now which is helping a lot and should start Remicade next week, so I guess time will tell how I respond to that.

Anyway, you'll like it here - great folks!
Best wishes!

:welcome: Nick - so glad you have joined us. It is nice to have more people with long term experience to contribute :O) Thank you so much for participating in a clinical trial. My husband works in close proximity to that clinical trial and has very high hopes for it. It is supposed to be more targeted to the gut. I really hope it works for you! Congrats on the baby boy - and I'm glad to hear you have arranged your job to fit your situation - I have done the same. Many aren't so luck :O) Glad you are here and good luck!

imisspopcorn

Punctuation Impaired
:welcome: Nick...Thankyou for doing the trial. You are helping many current and future Crohnies. I hope to see you around.

If you have time to start a thread about your experiences with the trial, I know I would really be thankful. It would also help anyone else who might be in your same situation.

Good luck.

Welcome Nick! :)
Its funny that I could even hear your Irish accent when I read your post ;)

This really is a wonderful place to share and have fun and give and recieve support.

Congrats on the baby!

Welcome Nick, I look forward to hearing more about the trials. I found a company in South Africa also calling people with active crohns for trials, but I have only just found a doctor who is prepared to walk the road with me, so I'll give him a chance before I go that route.

Welcome Nick!
Congratulations on the wedding and the new Baby! It's always nice to hear of good things happening to people with this nasty disease! i hope this trial does wonderful things for you, and finds you in remission shortly! :)