• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hello! Looking for a little support and advice...

Hello!
I'm trying to find some support or guidance here...I am new to the site so I apologize in advance! haha

My husband was diagnosed with Ulcerative Colitis for a long time before we were together (I'm guessing around 2004 or so), in 2008 he had a huge flare up-lost roughly 50 pounds and was about on his death bed. They finally came up with the conclusion that is was in his best interest to give him an ostomy bag. I supported him through it all and shortly after surgery he was feeling 100 percent better! But while he was in surgery, they realized he actually did not have Ulcerative Colitis, but a severe case of Crohn's, he was misdiagnosed for roughly 4 years.

Over the last 5 years, he has been doing great! Never had to watch what he ate or anything. Well, about 5 months ago (right around the time we welcomed our son into the world), he started to get sick again. He wasn't passing blood or anything (like he used to), but lost 35 pounds in just a couple weeks. So I finally talked him into seeing a holistic docter (he's not a fan of doctors). He was put on a super strict diet and finally realized he no longer could eat gluten or corn. But although taking these things out of his diet has made it a little easier for him, he still isn't feeling up to par. He can't gain his weight back, has no energy, his back is out all the time, he keeps getting "charlie horses". I'm just stuck...I don't know what else to do for him. I'm just trying to see other peoples stories...or see how the help get through "flare ups".

Thank you so much for your time and sorry it was so long!!

afidz

Super Moderator
Hello! and Welcome
Crohn's and UC are very similar, the difference being that Crohn's affects all the layers of the intestinal wall wheras UC only affects the top layer, but I am glad he finally has the right diagnosis.
His he still seeing a GI? A lot of times what can happen is that the part of the intestines that has been resected eventually becomes diseased as well so that may be why he is experiencing symptoms again. As for the corn and gluten intolerance, he may have developed Celiac's disease or it could just simply be the fact that has sensitivities to it. You can have a test done called a Prometheus test (its a blood test) but results have proven to be inconclusive so it is not used for a diagnosis but may point you in the right direction. In order to correctly diagnose a person with Celiac's disease there has to be biopsies done, and since it sounds like your husband's symptoms are coming back, a colonoscopy isn't really out of the question.
I hope this information helps and your husband feels better soon ! :hug:

Hi There - I'm also brand new to this forum and did a search for "Coeur d'Alene" to see if I could find any resources in my local area. I'm sorry about your husband. It's really amazing though that you are on here seeking help for him. I'm afraid I'm not much help since I have only just recently been diagnosed with Crohn's and am learning by the day. I am wondering though, would you mind sharing which naturopath you went to and if you liked them much, or if they seemed able to help? It seems at least the corn and gluten identification helped out! Thank you!!