• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hello - question on setons

Hi, my name is Cian, 18 years old and I'm from Ireland.

I have not been tested or diagnosed with any forms of IBD as of yet.

My story begins not too long ago back in June of this year. I started getting quite a lot of pain in my back passage. I went to my GP and he said it was internal hemorrhoids. I was put on a course of antibiotics which helped while I was taking them, but then then pain came back, progressively getting worse. I saw him again about 3 weeks later and he gave me another course of antibiotics, which again, helped while I was taking them. It was around July at this point and I lost hope with my GP. I just starting taking painkillers routinely (which I was also taking while on the antibiotics). I was taking 6 Solpadiene and 3 400mg Ibuprofen per day. I lasted about a month on pain killers until the pain became excruciating. I was bed ridden all day (I had no school/college to attend during those months). Eventually I went to A&E and again, I was diagnosed with hemorrhoids. I went back in the next day and asked to see a different doctor (I got pretty annoyed with the staff for sending me home). Eventually I was diagnosed with a deep postanal space abscess.

The next day I was sent to theater to have it drained. When I woke up I had a drainage catheter attached to a bag coming out of a wound about 1 inch above my anus. This drain was kept in for approx 6 weeks. Walking for any longer than 2 minutes would cause pain but the relief was amazing overall. Having a bag strapped to my leg for 6 weeks was an annoyance but I got over it.

This brings us up to my most recent surgical appointment, Wednesday the 22nd of this month (October). I was told a Seton Drain was being put in.

Surgery went fine. Most stories I've read, people said their stitch went through their anus. Mine is going through a surgically made wound about 2 inches above the drainage hole. I was sent home the next morning with Tramadol.

I woke up Friday morning in quite a bit of pain. I took the painkillers and they helped but not to the extent I would've hoped. Since then, I have been bed ridden once again.

Since the stitch was put in, it has been draining a LOT. I have been using Sanitary towels wedged between my cheeks. I have been using 2 a day. I think a lot of the pain is coming from the fact that the area is probably quite raw because of the excess drainage.

The main reason I am posting this is to ask for guidance. Anyone who has had a seton drain, how long did it take for the pain to subside? How long did it drain a lot, if it did?

I have an appointment in 3 weeks for a checkup with my colorectal surgeon. She also told me that the seton should be out in about 12 weeks. (I've read on this forum and others that people have had theirs in for years!?)

Sorry for the long post but it feels good to get everything out to others who have experienced this. I feel quite lost in all of this, with anxiety of the possibility of having CD.

Hi Cian,

Just read your post and wanted to send you a hug :hug:

I have no experience with your situation, I have Crohns and a healing fistula.

I'm sure someone will post soon with advice and more support.

Hang in there, it will get better. Just make sure you badger the medical teams, and don't suffer in silence.

scottsma

Hello and welcome Cian,I can't help either I'm afraid,but there are lots of people on the forum who have experience of setons and I'm sure you'll get some support soon.The different time zones mean that we all post at different times.There is a young adults thread on the forum you might like to have a look at in the mean time.

I hope you feel better very soon.

Welcome to the forum!

If you don't get the feedback you're looking for in this section, you might try posting in the "surgery" section, where they have a special subforum for fistulas/fissure/abscesses.

I haven't had a seton drain, so I'm sorry I can't offer advice to you this time.

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
Hi Shox - I too don't have experience with a seton, but I did copy your thread over to the surgery sub-forum where hopefully you will get some more input.