• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hello to my fellow warriors!!

Hello to all at Crohn's Forum!!!

Im a 23 year old male from Adelaide, South Australia, diagnosed with Crohn's Disease at the age of 18. I have only recently discovered this fantastic community and I must say it is an amazing feeling to finally be able to discuss IBD matters with people who ACTUALLY understand!!!!!

I was always a person who enjoyed intense physical activity, especially kickboxing and fancied myself a bodybuilding enthusiast. However, before being officially diagnosed with Crohn's I had noticed a severe number of changes within my body - I started to get unusual abdominal pain once in a while and slowly increased visits to the bathroom. Fast forwarding to around a month before I was hospitalised and officially diagnosed I was completely bedridden, unable to eat anything and in severe pain. Visits to the bathroom were now in the double digits and I had lost over 30kg, including all the muscle I had worked so hard for.

During my initial recovery after I was discharged from hospital I recall having to explain my condition to friends, family and workmates and seeing their faces change when I uttered the word "disease". My girlfriend of over a year was now too scared to touch me and ended our relationship. A year later, in remission, my application for the Australian Army was rejected, as Crohn's made me permanently medically unfit to enlist in the entire defence force. As military service was a family tradition among the males in our family this was devastating to me.

After struggling with both frequent flare ups and forever changing medication, I made the decision to refuse to submit to this terrible disease and was determined to not let it beat me.

And now, 5 years later, I have begun treatment with humira and have been in remission for more than a year. I have a stable job and a beautiful partner who always offers her support and understanding unconditionally. I think thats a pretty good start for keeping my chin up :smile:

I guess I wanted to let as many people with IBD know that we can beat this illness and that while times may sometimes get tough, we can pull through! Unleash the inner beast!!

PS as you may have guessed by now, I enjoy talking :lol2:

nogutsnoglory

So happy to hear about Humira being your magic drug. I wish you continued health and happiness in the new year. Thanks for sharing your success.

Welcome to the Forum, Andy. So glad things are going well for you! I hope you remain in remission for a long, long time!

SarahBear

Welcome to the forum, Andy!

I'm sorry to hear what you've gone through. It all sounds very difficult. :( I'm so glad things are looking up for you now! It sounds like you're long overdue for some good times!

:hug: I hope things continue to go well for you, and I look forward to seeing you around the forum!