• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hello!

emmaaaargh

Staff member
Hello, everyone. I'm a long-time lurker just summoning up the rest of my courage to finally join here (I'm pretty shy)!

My name is Emma, and I'm from the UK. I was diagnosed shortly after my 9th birthday, which was relatively quick from what I've seen of others who had symptoms for absolutely ages! Don't know how I could have coped if it'd taken so long for me - I was passing pretty much pure liquid. My GP was... pretty much useless and told me to hold off red meat and fat, but my mum was suspicious as that same GP had misdiagnosed my granddad which probably contributed to him dying when he did. I don't remember much of what happened next (I've probably been blocking it out mentally), but I had a colonoscopy and endoscopy in September that year and got a diagnosis. I was put on Pentasa, and have been on and off iron tablets.

My problems, really, first started in 2009. In November I was thrown into hospital for removal of a stricture and then placed on an Elemental 028 diet for 6 weeks afterwards. I didn't mind the surgery much, but being on liquid food ruined me emotionally for some reason. I'd always been a girl that loved her food, but my doctor saw my bursting into tears as such an odd response he asked my mother if I should be referred for therapy!

Things started getting better... and then in summer 2011 they started getting worse. In December I went to talk to the same consultant in London I had for my surgery, and he suggested an MRI, which I had in February. I knew nothing of the results until Wednesday this week, when we asked the nurse doing my pre-op assessment to check them. They found thickening of the bowel lining, which didn't surprise me. So now I'm waiting for my colonoscopy in early May, and to see where to go from there!

I'm still on these Elemental drinks (but alongside regular food) and because I'm a stubborn teenager, it's really wrecking my relationship with my parents. I don't want to drink them, because I have bad memories associated with them, and then my parents get mad because I'm not drinking them and everyone ends up frustrated and not talking!

Wow, I've written a lot - I convinced myself I'd keep it short! But it seems an absolutely amazing place here and I hope I'm able to be as active a part of the community as I'd like, even with my shyness. :ysmile:

Jessi

Hi Emma and :welcome: to the family.

You know, being shy is one of the things many of us have in common. In fact, here's a poll that you may want to see. http://www.crohnsforum.com/showthread.php?t=17520

I think I'm like you in another way, as well. I am a major foodie. I have a very difficult time with the foods that I must avoid. My heart is broken over the fact that I can't eat peanut butter, for one. :(

I'm really happy that you decided to join us here. I believe it was a very good move on your part. Hopefully, you'll be able to feel comfortable here and know that you can talk about absolutely anything with us. :hug:

David

Co-Founder
Hi Emma and welcome to the forum :)

Believe it or not, we can literally become addicted to food. There can be a physical component to this as sometimes we can an overgrowth of certain types of bacteria or yeast in our intestinal tract and if we change our diet and no longer feed them what they want, they start to die off and release toxins that can affect our emotional, mental, and physical health for a short time. This may be what you were experiencing. You may want to read about Small Intestine Bacterial Overgrowth. It's not uncommon in people with Crohn's Disease, especially if you've had motility issues due to strictures.

Overcoming this may be a little easier on you and your parents if you understand why and that it's not just you being stubborn.

Anyway, we're here for you anytime :)

*hugs*

Astra

:bigwave: Hiya Emma and welcome!

It's good to have you here with us, enjoy the forum
lotsa luv
Joan xxx