• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hello

Hello....I was diagnosed with crohn's about a year ago but have been having problems with figuring out my diet so i decided the internet would help. Hopefully i can find some info about figuring out what i personally can and can not eat. Also, how common is it for teens to be diagnosed? Ive had back surgery for other issues but being diagnosed with a chronic disease was quite a shock at 17.

MetalCyborg said:
Hello....I was diagnosed with crohn's about a year ago but have been having problems with figuring out my diet so i decided the internet would help. Hopefully i can find some info about figuring out what i personally can and can not eat. Also, how common is it for teens to be diagnosed? Ive had back surgery for other issues but being diagnosed with a chronic disease was quite a shock at 17.
They say that this is a 'Young Persons' disease. I was also diagnosed at 17.

Diet can vary differently from person to person. You really need to use trial and error to figure out what bothers you.

Welcome to the forums :)

Welcome!

Unfortunately trial and error is the only thing that will help you the most. We could all tell you what we can or can't eat, but you may be very different. Some of the most common things I have heard are dairy products, greasy fried foods, spicy foods, red meats, onions, lettuce for some. Some others have tried gluten free diets or SCD diets.

My worst food is beef...always gives me terrible cramping. I can eat cheeses but not milk. Onions don't bother me and lettuce is so, so. Anything high fiber upsets my system. I avoid greasy fried foods (per dr. instructions and sheer fear). I also avoid soda and coffee...oh how I miss coffee. All in all the less I am flaring the more I can eat. When flaring I stick to an almost liquid diet (Ensure shakes and maybe some crackers) as that is all I can manage to eat.

Hope this info helps. I would keep a food diary so you can see what foods seem to trigger bad responses. Remember it could be things that never bothered you before...like beef with me, I use to eat it nearly every day and now I can't have it ever without paying the price.

How long after i eat something can i tell? Im sure the time, like everything else, differs for each person but if i could get somewhere in the ballpark that would be nice. Im also in college and living in dorms and eating in the dining hall so this makes it pretty hard to regulate what i eat also.

thanks for helping....my freinds will listen but they have no clue how to offer me advice lol.

in other words, even though it is different for each person, i appreciate the suggestions and your advice.

:)