• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hello

Hello! I'm new here and I've been in and out as a guest before but I haven't actually posted until today...I had a GI appointment because I have crohns. I don't have time to type my whole story seeing as I'm babysitting right now but what triggered my registration is my doctor wanting me to go on imuran and remicade. I take humira but it's just not working. I'm deathly afraid of remicade. I don't want to loose my hair.

Yes as shallow as it seems...hair loss is the only symptom I'm worried about. Being a girl, African American at that, I would feel very insecure without hair.

Hello and welcome. I don't know about anybody loosing hair with remicade. My daughter has been on it for 9 months and she is doing great. Talk to your Doctor about Remicade side effects, as far as I know hair loss is not one of them. I hope you feel better soon.

Wow you're the first person to tell me that. From all of my research everyone aside from 2 people had horrible hair loss. I hope I'm as lucky as your daughter if I decide to go on it.

Visit the treatment forum. You will find a lot of info on remicade, humira etc. I am pretty sure you will find answers from a lot of people who used or is on remicade.

Sorry to hear about your disease bothering you.

I've been on Remicade for 10.5 years and I was also terrified of starting it -- but hair loss was the last thing I was worried about. I've also never heard of anyone losing hair on Remicade. (Steroids like prednisone, though, they can cause all sorts of weird hair loss/growth symptoms. . .) Poor nutrition can also cause hair loss, breakage, dryness, etc., so it may be that whatever medication(s) work for you could improve your hair if they help you to improve your nutritional status. (I hope that's something to look forward to!)

Your doctor wants to put you on Imuran *and* Remicade at the same time? It's not the weirdest thing in the world, but you may be able to try one at a time. That way, if you get side effects, at least you'll know which drug is causing them!

Anyway, Remicade and Humira work in basically the same way -- they're different giant molecules with the same active site (the lock/key mechanism that allows them to attach to TNF-alpha and signal your immune system to destroy it) -- so the range of possible side effects with Remicade is similar to what's possible with Humira. I hope you tolerate Remicade better, if that's what's prescribed for you.

Good luck!