• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

HELP! Advice for UC with Diarrhea

I was diagnosed with UC in 2014. I am presently dealing with another flareup and have been sick with it for it over 6 weeks now. My latest problem is with bad diarrhea. It seams like after I eat, with in an hour I have to make a BM. I happens sometimes even when I just want to urinate. I am suffering right at this moment and want to know if I can take Pepto Bismol or something OTC that will help with my diarrhea, I am trying to keep up with drinking water, though I know that I am not drinking the water amounts that I should be. I am presently on Lialda 4 tablets per day, Anusol-HC Supp 2x per day, and Rowasa every night. Will Pepto Bismol interfere with these drugs. I need any suggestions, because I will not be able to reach my GI doctor until Monday, and I can not suffer over the weekend this way. Please help me with your suggestions. Thank you so much! :)

Pepto Bismo should be okay but be very cautious. I would take one dose on the lower end to start. You don't want to risk stopping everything up so make sure you are still going to the washroom regularly. Then make sure to contact your GI on Monday. Just remember to be cautious with the dosing and make sure you don't stop going to the washroom entirely.

Cross-stitch gal

Staff member
Another suggestion would be to call your doctor's office even though your regular GI is off. Likely there will be an advice nurse there who will be able to talk to an on call doctor with some ideas to get you through till monday. I know that I've been able to do that in the past.

Another suggestion would be to call your doctor's office even though your regular GI is off. Likely there will be an advice nurse there who will be able to talk to an on call doctor with some ideas to get you through till monday. I know that I've been able to do that in the past.
This.

Give your doctor a call. You shouldn't have this for six weeks.

Poor you. Sounds terrible.

Obviously first step is to call your doctor. Just to get tested and check nothing more serious is occurring.

I find that stopping eating solid food, and starting on an Elemental liquid program, will stop diarrhoea very quickly.

I have found that freshly prepared and strained carrot juice, is magnificent for stopping my diarrhoea or settling down a cramping stomach.

I discovered this by accident. But then I also saw it in a book by Leslie Kenton (British Health Author). It seems to be a well-known fact; that I didn't know!

So on the Elemental plan, you just consume things like filtered water, homemade carrot juice, other strained vegetable juices if you can tolerate them (I find kale juice helps too), homemade bone broth, easy to digest blended vegan soups.

Also sip herbal teas that contain tannins, as these are astringent and help to tighten internally and dry up diarrhoea. Teas like: slippery elm, marshmallow, mullein and peppermint.

Sorry I am new here. Just realized the original post was from 2015. Bit late to be answering now. But never mind, my post may assist someone else in 2017.

Poor you. Sounds terrible.

Obviously first step is to call your doctor. Just to get tested and check nothing more serious is occurring.

I find that stopping eating solid food, and starting on an Elemental liquid program, will stop diarrhoea very quickly.

I have found that freshly prepared and strained carrot juice, is magnificent for stopping my diarrhoea or settling down a cramping stomach.

I discovered this by accident. But then I also saw it in a book by Leslie Kenton (British Health Author). It seems to be a well-known fact; that I didn't know!

So on the Elemental plan, you just consume things like filtered water, homemade carrot juice, other strained vegetable juices if you can tolerate them (I find kale juice helps too), homemade bone broth, easy to digest blended vegan soups.

Also sip herbal teas that contain tannins, as these are astringent and help to tighten internally and dry up diarrhoea. Teas like: slippery elm, marshmallow, mullein and peppermint.

Sorry I am new here. Just realized the original post was from 2015. Bit late to be answering now. But never mind, my post may assist someone else in 2017.
Thanks Teddy Tutu! Im new on the forum too and this is the first thread i've read as I am currently experiencing similar symptoms and I am now sipping on some peppermint tea :)

Hey, I use cannabis to help relieve my symptoms. It effectively reduces my BM, nausea, abdominal pain, and anxiety etc.