• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Help! Bowel Obstruction?

I haven't had a bowel movement in 2-3 days and I'm starting to get a little concerned. I have a considerable amount of abdominal pain, but I'm not sure what I should do.

Should I just take a laxative and call it a day or get to the emergency room? I'm on Pentasa, so I'm not sure if that makes any difference.

I heavily reccomend miralax. It's just a lubricant so it won't make things any worse. A liquid diet and some lubrication should help you slip through like soaping a finger to get a ring off.

You don't want to take a stimulant laxative or any stimulants (like caffeine) at all if you can avoid it. Stimulants will increase the force being exerted and you don't want the pressure to reach the point that your intestines blow out.

Again, if you start vomitting go to the ER. Make an appointment with your doctor even if you don't go to the ER. They'll probably need to reassess how well your crohn's is being controled and think about other medication options.

I wonder about bowel obstructions a lot too - even before I was diagnosed. But I'm kind of an every other day or every third day pooper, so I don't get to anxious until day 4-5. Can they come on just like that? My colonoscopy didn't show any strictures or obstructions last month. I guess I don't know how fast they can come on.

I hope you don't have an obstruction. They sound scary:eek: Good luck!

Would Milk of Magnesia be OK in an instance like this? That's what I have here and find that it doesn't bother me like pill laxatives do. I don't have any miralax, but should probably get some next time I'm out and thinking about it.

Just got back from the ER. The doctor thinks my intestine is just trying to get used to actually digesting food and that I'm in a transition period.

C

catfud

Well hopefully thats the case, keep us updated on how things go always best to get checked out better safer than sorry :)

W

Wonk

lizzy_forrest said:
Just got back from the ER. The doctor thinks my intestine is just trying to get used to actually digesting food and that I'm in a transition period.
Hope he is right. Pen has some good advise though, and if you start puking be sure to go back. Docs sometimes talk right out of their buttholes and unless they did a ct on you he is just giving his best guess, which as an emergency doc who has never seen you before isn't worth all that much.

Agreed. You know your body better than any ER doctor is going to.
ER doctors do NOTHING for me. Do you have a good GI who you talk to regularly?
If you don't, you should. Give the GI an email or call to let them know what is going on.
Don't ever hold anything back, as trivial as it may seem. I bug my two GIs all the time.
Sometimes I even send them photos to emphasize my point :)

AIjen said:
I wonder about bowel obstructions a lot too - even before I was diagnosed. But I'm kind of an every other day or every third day pooper, so I don't get to anxious until day 4-5. Can they come on just like that? My colonoscopy didn't show any strictures or obstructions last month. I guess I don't know how fast they can come on.

I hope you don't have an obstruction. They sound scary:eek: Good luck!

Would Milk of Magnesia be OK in an instance like this? That's what I have here and find that it doesn't bother me like pill laxatives do. I don't have any miralax, but should probably get some next time I'm out and thinking about it.
Mine happened so quick. I had just finished dinner and stood up and felt a slight pain. I knew right then and there it was an obstruction. I waited for a few hours but the pain was getting worse by the hour. Went to the hospital and CT scan showed obstruction. The pain was getting worse and then came the vomiting.
So yes it can happen pretty fast and the pain is like no other.

I can relate to the pain. I thought I was also having constipation yet I didn't get much relieve after havign a bowel movement.
Then I heard from another person to try Beano . I think it's a digestive enzyme. WOW.. what a difference. I had no idea that trapped gas could cause so much pain !!!!
I was terrified to tell my Doctor before cause I didn't want to have surgery. I thought that was the solution to an obstruction. I also thought I had a bladder infection or soemthing. I'd suggest trying soem Beano... or another digestive enzyme. If you want to try it .. buy a small bottle of Beano or other digestive enzyme. Only a suggestion

I big comforting hug to you :)