• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Help! Cold two weeks before surgery

Plz can you guys help me or give me some advice I woke up on Sunday with a sore throat thought it was too do with going to a gig on Saturday night but today it is affecting my chest and I feel like I can't breathe :-:)-( I have asthma and taken my inhalers but they haven't worked yet. Will they still go ahead with the op on 23rd if it hasn't gone by then? Hopefully it will be gone by then my chest is killing me :-:)-(

I hope you get it shifted, Rachel :-( I had a really bad cold prior to my surgery. It had mostly gone but left me with a bit of a cough. I got a chest infection after the surgery and I think it was probably related to the cough. I know it would be so frustrating to have to delay surgery, but with your asthma, I would definitely mention if you still have problems nearer the time. Having to cough after surgery is horrible and my surgeon prescribed antibiotics as they were worried about me developing pneumonia.

Oh sorry to hear that :-( sounds awful I'm worried about my asthma too. My friend has just said I sound like an older woman :/ not good when I'm only 22. Hopefully they'll kick in soon.. Maybe best thing is too postpone but I'll bombard myself with the sweets and medicine and hopefully will go soon.

The anaesthetist will be the best person to advise on your readiness for the op nearer the time. But I hope too you'll be well enough. Rest up and take care of yourself x

I won't see the aneathetist till the day :-( I feel worse today :-( but it'll get worse before it gets better I think... I've got 15 days to get rid of it.. I've had paracetamol, cough meds and cough sweets. Thank you I hope I'm well enough as well it's already been postponed once but that was coz of an emergency so couldn't be helped. Think it's change in weather that why I'm full of cold :-(

I won't see the aneathetist till the day :-( I feel worse today :-( but it'll get worse before it gets better I think... I've got 15 days to get rid of it.. I've had paracetamol, cough meds and cough sweets. Thank you I hope I'm well enough as well it's already been postponed once but that was coz of an emergency so couldn't be helped. Think it's change in weather that why I'm full of cold :-(
Have you been getting plenty of sleep? I'd get decongestants if you need to sleep. That with fluid pushing should help you out.

No I don't think I have been getting enough sleep keep waking up :-( bed early tonight I think. Still taking my meds and sweets and my inhaler. Thanks guys! Hopefully feel better soon.. If its not one thing it's another!

If you're not better in a couple of days, it might be worth seeing your GP? If it has gone down into your chest and it's an infection, there might still be time to get some antibiotics to clear it?

No I don't think I have been getting enough sleep keep waking up :-( bed early tonight I think. Still taking my meds and sweets and my inhaler. Thanks guys! Hopefully feel better soon.. If its not one thing it's another!
What drugs are ya on for crohns now? Anything at all? Just curious.

Last edited:
Wide awake now after having 10hrs sleep :) my chest feels bit better it's just my throat and cough now :/ I'm not on any treatment coz not sure whether I have crohn's or colitis but I've been fine since I've had my emergency ileostomy a yr and a half ago nearly. IBD very nearly killed me my large bowel could of burst at any time.

Feeling slightly better. Less croaky still got a cough and still bombarding myself hoping they help some more. My nose is like a tap tho! :/

Think I have a throat infection oh the joys keep getting sore throats since the cold I had. It's all red on right side. Hoping they will still go through with op on Thursday I'm fine apart from sore throats