• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Help getting Remicade in Greece

:sign0085:

I have already connected with 2 very nice people on this forum from Greece. Thank you for your help. This post is to see if there would be anyone else out there that might have a suggestion.

In short, I am trying to see if there would be any way to use the Greek Healthcare system for my 16 y/o daughter receiving Remicade in Greece. If this is not possible, I am trying to find out if there is any way that I could pay cash for the treatments. I am also welcoming any other suggestions.

Ok here is my story.

For the last year, my family and I have been working with a large Charitable organization called “Christian Aid Ministry” with the intent of moving to Lesvos Island Greece to work with the refugee crisis. This was intended to be a long-term assignment, at least 2 years. Our family was there last year and we all fell in love with Greece and especially for life and the work on Lesvos island.

We have been doing everything by the books. The organization has hired a lawyer in Athens and we are officially registering as a Greek NGO. I am supposed to be the director of this work in Greece.

However, in preparation for the move, my daughter began having increasing intestinal problems. So we started testing and it ended up that she has Crohn’s disease. After MRE and other tests, it looked like she had some possible fissures in her small bowel so they strongly recommended Remicade or Humira.

In the waiting time for her insurance coverage to approve her Humira, her bowels begun to swell and she became very sick. Well, 2 days ago she ended up with a temporary small bowel obstruction. And today I am writing from her inpatient room at Mayo Clinic Rochester.

This was tough. They put in a nasal tube in the ER and I cried to see her go through that. Fortunately the last 2 nights have gone pretty well and they actually started the Remicade last night. She is doing well and even started eating today. But as far as treatment is concerned, it looks like we will have to stay on Remicade for the beginning of our treatment. I should mention that my care here at Mayo has been excellent. And incidentally, I was really blessed with the coincidental occurrence that both my ER doctor and my GI doctor were former Syrian refugees as children. I found it Interesting that as I was trying to go to Greece to help the Syrian refugees, it turned out that instead, these former Syrian refugees were now helping me.

Originally when I heard of her diagnosis, I felt that the best thing for my daughter would be to cancel the plans for Greece. I didn’t want to take any chances of giving her any unnecessary risk. However, all the doctors are really trying to encourage us to continue with the plan. They say that the philosophy today with Crohn’s disease is to try to continue your life plan as much as possible. She also really wants to continue with our plans.

So, with that encouragement, I began to investigate how I would pay for this. Well, my first thing was to investigate all the travel insurance programs, but as soon as I told them about Crohn’s disease they ALL said that they would not cover any procedures or drugs related to her Crohn’s. My current insurance, which is doing great for the US, stated that they would cover nothing outside of my state.

I began to see this as a closed door and I again considered that the project might have to be canceled. However, a “Health sharing” program interested in the project offered to seriously consider helping us out. So what this would end up being is that a lot of nice people or churches would pay into a fund that would help pay for this. However, to do this I will need to find out a way to pay for the Remicade treatment with cash. Then I would tell the nice people and they would all chip in.

Of course, the best thing (by far) would be if there were any way for me to simply use the European (Greek) health care system. I would be willing to go through a lot of effort to do this. I already have a TAX number (ΑΦΜ). I have considered purchasing a house in Greece but even the “golden visa” says that you need to provide proof of “international health Insurance.”

Another route is that I have already considered working on a Ph.D. from the University of Athens or the University of the Aegean. I’m wondering, would being a full-time Ph.D. student allow me to use the Greek health care system?

In review, I am trying to see if there would be any way to use the Greek Healthcare system for my 16 y/o daughter receiving Remicade in Greece. If this is not possible I am trying to find out if there is any way that I could pay cash. I am also welcoming any other suggestions.

Thank you in advance for anyone that might be able to help or have good suggestions.

Last edited by a moderator: