• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Help, i have a fistula!!

my story is this

i was sitting for prolonged period of time about 12 hours i got up and felt a shooting pain in my backside, this also happened after i held my poop in for about 2 days (don't ask) anyway i got a tear just above my anus towards the bottom of my bum cheeks. and a fissure, the fissure is fine i got laxatives which helped it heal and i eat high fibre,
the issue is the abscess/fistula

it healed up but then turned into an abscess, i got antibiotics and this went down. it came back again, it burst, ive had different types of antibiotics but the problem is it keeps coming back this leads me to believe that this is a fistula and cannot be a simple abscess as abscess heals with antib's normally.

i do not have any other medical conditions and no other problems. i am overall very healthy. this happened about 7 weeks ago however ive been out the country since 5 weeks ago now, and seen doctors abroad, it just keeps coming back

im thinking of just trying to use a syringe and just drain the abscess myself using a mirror if it happens in the future,

is there anything i can do, is there a cure, i dont want surgery unless they can clog up the fistula, i do not want any muscles to be snipped which could lead to incontinence. are there any drugs that could heal this?

again i am very healthy and have no other issues,
could someone tell me if there is any particular drug that can close up the fistula, and when iget back to the uk in 5 weeks, i will have to tell my doctor this, will they be able to send me to surgery to close up the fistula or put some blockage?

help this is driving me mad

im also on doccycline which is a type of antibiotic which prevents malaria and im taking about 125mg a day, not sure if this is keeping it at bay as ive been taking it for 5 weeks as well as other anti b such as ciproflaxiciln

can anyone advise me please, this is so annoying and stressful, sometimes i feel a "bubble" in my butt and i have to forcefully burst it, which leads to discharge and blood, and im carrying anti bacterial wipes with me all the time,

Hi Mox, unfortunately it does sound like a fistula. At present there isn't any medication that will heal and close up a fistula, however some bio-logics such as infliximab have showed promise in this area.

In the UK they will usually cut and drain the abscess and allow it to heal from the base up dependant on where the fistula is they will either cut it and lay it open or use a piece of rubber wire known as a Seton to allow the fistula to drain. Depending on the type of seton they use they may tighten it periodically to gradually cut into and heal the fistula. There has been some trials using fibrin glue to close a fistula but the re-occurrence rate is high and it is not wide spread practice to follow this kind of procedure.

I can't stress to you enough how bad an idea it is to try and self drain an abscess, it is very painful and if not done properly could cause further infections and complications!

I know it's probably not the answer you wanted to hear but I hope this has given you some discussion points for you and your GP.

I hope you feel better soon!