• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Help I need advice

Hi, can anyone help me? I have had Ibs for 12 years and within the last year I have been experiencing pain under my right rib and right side of abdomen. Scans are all clear and bloods show that my inflammatory marker is 20. Then 5 months ago I started experiencing diarrhea about 2-4 times a day. I usually suffer extreme constipation with my ibs. The Drs say it's ibs but one dr was concerned as my mother has Crohn's disease. He put me on steroids and this cleared all symptoms. He then sent me to a general surgeon who says because my inflammatory marker is hardly raised and I've been on steroids he can't give me a colonoscopy. He also said that steroids would work either way. If my feacal tests are negative then he says it's probably ibs. I don't know what to think and no one seems to want to help me get a colonoscopy to see what is going on. I had a colonoscopy 10 years ago and there was an obstruction. I'm tired, I get night sweats, headaches, constant pain , bloating and aches. Thankyou xxx

my little penguin

Staff member
You would need to see a Gi not a surgeon
Steriods would "fix" the inflammation if it's crohns so there wouldn't be an evidence of crohns on the colonscopy unfortunately until the inflammation returns
Minimum for other diseases is to wait 8-9 weeks after your weaned from steriods

David

Co-Founder
Welcome to the community. As your mother has Crohn's, I'm concerned. If/when the symptoms come back as the steroids' effect wears off, I'd demand a colonoscopy.

Hi and welcome to the forum, i agree with all the above. The only one that could really help you are the GI i hope you get some answers soon. Please keep us updated

I do to. My Drs have always told me if steroids help the symptoms its not IBS.
I hope you get some answers quickly, especially with you mom having CD.

Lauren