• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Help just found out

I was told today my biopsy said i have a sever case of Crohn's and i start aza tom from what i am reading it will make me sick in the begain and i am kinda of nervous, what about work if i feel this way i work with the pubblic anyone kind help and give me advice ....... thanku:sign0085:

Firstly, I would probably not use my real name in any posts and as a matter of precaution and keep the Crohn's diagnosis hushed from work. That is not to say you have anything to worry about, just a precaution. Some big employers would see a Crohn's diagnosis as an expensive investment.

That being said, most people can work/live perfectly normal lives. Find a comfortable balance between the quack doctors and babbling bloggers and their respective tangents. My tangent involves a more whole foods/supplements base with complementary, less tolling pharmaceuticals.

Here's a summary of my common rantings:
I think it may depend on how active the dis-ease is presently in order to gauge whether an exclusively diet/supplement/lifestyle prescription can do the trick. Ideally, you would like to have your inflammation down and in control before going awol, off meds. First and foremost, if you're on pred, you must speak to your physician about supplementing D3 (5000 iu), Vitamin K (1&2), calcium, and magnesium (malate).

It takes discipline to wean off/deny yourself sweets, hydrogenated oils (trans fats), fake sugars (high fructose corn syrup, aspartame, acesulfame potassium, sorbitol, even white sugar should be nearly eliminated etc.), preservatives (nearly everything boxed that doesn't have whole food ingredients: maltodextrin, food dyes, nitrites...), refined/white grains, genetically modified ingredients etc... Not to mention smokes--these might help lesser IBS-like problems in the short run, but not Crohns--it will only worsen it, seems to be the consensus. Caffeine is also a problem for most.

Conversely, it takes time/$ to develop a knack for, and palate for, making whole food meals. You have to learn to like good fats virgin coconut oil, avocados, walnuts, fish etc. Anti-inflammatory herbs need to be included into foods: ginger, tumeric, garlic etc. Fermented/probiotic foods like vege-kimchi, saurkraut, kefir should be used. Prebiotic foods should be used like plantains, steamed broccoli, pumpkin and squash. Consider whether sprouted grains should comprise the bulk of your grain intake, or whether you should exclude them (phytic acid, gluten, and gliandin being of concern). Also consider whether to limit or completely eliminate milk and red meat from your diet.

Vitamin/mineral deficiencies must continually be supplemented: Ks, B12, D3
(5000iu), calcium, magnesium (malate/taurate), zinc, l-glutamine etc. Supplements comparable to pharmaceuticals, at least functionally, should be considered (anti-inflammatories, immuno-balancing, anti-pathogenic). Things like andrographis, CLA (6 grams daily-not if you have liver problems), enteric coated fish oil (about 3-4 grams actual omega 3s a day, NOTE: fish oil at this dose may thin blood), maybe alternate 2 or more quality probiotics (jarrow eps, VSL3, primal defense ultra) NEED TO BE RESEARCHED. Less tolling pharmaceuticals like Low Dose Naltrexone (LDN) should be researched (not if you take opiates).

Above all, you need to want to learn more, and more still. You have to research all of the above. It is only a rough, error-ridden guide. Most of these things can be incorporated with pharmaceuticals (except maybe andrographis) until you are in better shape. Find mega online retailers like vitacost, iherb, lucky vitamin... for best prices. Or support a local,co-op or family owned, health food store. I am not a doctor, just another faceless voice on the internet. See MY Supps for MY Dis-Ease in the "Success Stories" section and keep surfing this site for valuable lived experiences.

I would also consider monitoring any and all side effects of drugs you're given. Aza itsn't the worst route to go. I was on it for a year with no problem. A few people mention joint pains/naseau as side effects. Also remember to get liver/pancreatic enzymes checked. Sorry to info-overload.

Take a deep breath and remember to think for yourself.

David

Co-Founder
Hi Michelle and welcome to the forum. Due to the nature of your post, I have changed your username to what is displays as now which will be how you login. If you would like to have it be something else, please PM me.

I wish you all the best.