• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Help me settle a bet!

So here's the thing. While Keith was in the hospital his GI had a Prometheus test done to measure his infliximab antibodies. I'd already told him prior to this that there was no way I was putting Keith back on Remicade. Hubby says that Humira and Remicade are so close to the same thing the test could be for Humira (which I'd also already said no to, but, w/e) but I say that's total Bull.. erm, bologna! I say infliximab antibodies are just for Remicade!

Does anyone know this for certain? Either way my portion of this test is $120 and I'm angry as hell that the doc did it. Right before Christmas we have 2 separate hospital stays totaling 21 days, 3 surgeries, 3 MRI's 3 X-rays, every doctor that poked the head into the room.. and now... just because he felt like disregarding my wishes, another $120 bill. :ybatty: AUGH! I'm canceling Christmas except to send that man a shoebox full of coal.

Anyway... I'm rambling. Can anyone settle this?

Jeff's correct. Basically, Humira is unlikely to work (but it's possible) if he's failed with Remicade (if that's the case)...Humira, AKA adalimumab, is from a different source of protein/antibody when manufactured, but goes after the same TNF alpha targets to bind. Remicade is from antibodies in mice and humans (chimeric), and Humira uses human versions only.

The test by Prometheus, which was probably an HACA test or a serum test, was done by the GI for specific reasons, but really can't be for Humira (to the best of my knowledge and from what I understand). The HACA test (I believe it's Human anti-chimeric antibodies) is for a specific type of antibody, is more involved and is done to prevent/predict possible future issues with the drug, and the serum test is more like what Jeff described. Either way, I don't think it can be for Humira, but I suppose a doctor could erroneously intend for it to be. I guess there's a slight chance I'm wrong, in that if you have issues with Remicade, or it didn't work, but want to check how the body reacted to it to surmise how it may react to Humira, it *may* be useful, but I doubt it. Prometheus tests are so specific, I don't think there is that level of flexibility, and the medicines are different, and circulate and metabolize at different rates, hence I don't think it's feasible to use the test interchangeably. Humira is done every 2 weeks on maintenance, whereas Remicade may be up to 8 weeks apart on maintenance, they are very different in that respect, and that's the respect that is primarily used in the tests.

Prometheus is a company, and they are the only company who do certain tests. The infliximab ones are some of the most complex, but they have ones that can diagnose Crohns/UC, they have one that I've had twice that they also do for patients on Azathioprine, for levels. They're out in CA and when I had a nurse do a wrong test in Jan of 2008 during an admission, I initially got billed for it. It was sent as the wrong test and they (hospital) wanted to charge me for it, AND the correct test done later, and my GI at the time admitted it wasn't my fault, and I eventually got out of the bill.

I'm 99% sure Prometheus doesn't do an adalimumab test, so I can virtually guarantee you won the bet. The question is how much did you win? :)

Last edited:
Thanks guys! :mademyday: :Karl:!

I win bragging rights and one of the few opportunities to say, "TOLD YA SO!" That's enough for me!

You guys are awesome, thanks again for the assist!

From what my doctor explained to me Remicade is made from a mix of human and mouse DNA while Humeri is made from only human DNA. The body can develop antibodies to the mouse DNA and Remicade no longer works. Imuran is often prescribed to Remicade user to help suppress the immune response and prevent the body from developing the antibodies. I get monthly tests to check for the presence of antibodies. If they appear, I have been told I would have to switch to Humira.