• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Help me to figure out what to eat?

Hi everyone.
im kolitha from sri lanka, crohn's disease is very rare in sri lanka so i dont have many people to talk regarding my situation.
i was diagnosed with crohan 1 month back after having symptoms for about 6 months. the symptoms where loss pf appetite and once or twice a day lose stools. after i was diagnosed with this condition i went and search in the internet and found that the only thing which can keep me healthy is good food. since that i am really concern of what i eat. i have completely stayed out of oily food and now i feel like i am over worried about my food plan. i lost about 16 kg due to crohns and now i am on the possitive side of gaining weight. what should and shouldnt i eat?
is it okay to eat steak? home made burggers? i completly stoped eating bread, is bread bad to eat? iin some websites they say its good to eat pizza, is it possible for us to eat pizza?

two days back i ate a grilled chicken for dinner, my stools where okay but trough out the night i had the feeling of a bloated stomach. thats the onlly symptom i get when i eat oily food.

please help me. i am getting really frustrated since my hobby was to travel and since i got this condition i am even scared to leave home with out a home cocked meal.

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
Hi kolitha and welcome to the forum! :D

There are many different diets out there that many say help them. For me I stick to the Low Residue Diet during a flare as it helps to reduce symptoms for me. Personally I think its a great diet to start with and have found it easy to stick to but there are others like the SCD and Paleo, you can find more info about both here: http://www.crohnsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=288 You could also try juicing http://www.crohnsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=284

Keeping a food diary will help you understand what does and doesn't trigger symptoms for you as everyone is different. There are many members who can't eat pizza yet there are many who can. There are some who can eat raw fruits and vegetables yet many who can't. Steak and burgers tend to be higher in fat and depending on how they're cooked, could cause more symptoms, for instance grilled/BBQ foods tend to increase symptoms while baked and steamed help to reduce symptoms.

When eating out somewhere I tend to look for bland items like a rice dish or baked chicken or fish with steamed veggies and or a baked potato etc. Yet you may be able to tolerate more than that.

As for bread, if its one of your triggers then you could reduce it or eliminate it entirely. Were you tested for Celiac disease? Even if you don't have Celiac you could have a mild gluten intolerance, especially if you noticed improvement when you stopped eating bread. For many with bad flares, bread items and rice become staples as they find it difficult to eat anything else.

Hopefully you'll find a diet that works for you. Keep us posted. :)

I think Jennifer's correct - there are no set rules about what foods will cause you problems; everyone with Crohn's is different. However, there are some types of food that seem more likely to cause problems - things high in fibre, anything very rich, and some people have problems with lactose intolerance (dairy products).

Eat what you like and then monitor your symptoms. But just because you feel bad after eating something, don't assume it's the food that's the problem. Most people's symptoms vary due to unidentifiable factors as well, so you need to see consistent reactions to a particular food to work out if it's a problem for you. It can be difficult to know which foods give you problems, or even if it's food that's giving you problems at all. I find it best not to stress about it too much. Although some foods may make you feel worse for a little while, it's not going to do lasting damage (unless you have a true allergy or some other condition in addition to Crohn's - Crohn's can't be made worse by diet, except in extreme situations where some people have to rest their digestive system completely, but this would only be done in hospital or because a doctor thinks it's necessary).

Don't spend too long reading about diet and Crohn's online - you'll find that advice given on one site contradicts that given on another, which can leave you scared to eat anything. If you're very concerned that you're too ill to eat or that your body can't deal with food at all at the moment, you'll need to see a doctor. But otherwise, don't worry too much if you eat the wrong thing. It won't cause lasting damage, and over time it will help you see the best diet for you.

thank you guys.
Jenifer- i still have not been tested for it. i will talk to my Dr regarding that. thank you.
unxmas- i have stopped eating pretty much everything which gives me a bloated stomach i have not had any stomach pains for some time. what are the symptoms that i should worry?
even after a home cocked meal i suffer from a light bloated stomach but its not very bad. the main symptom what i get after eating oily foods are not getting hungry and a bloated stomach. i worry when i get slightly lose stools. on somedays my stools are perfectly normal. most of the time i only go to the toilet once. how concern should i get?
how do i find out which foods trigger symptoms for me??
thanks guys for helping me it means a lot!
after a good night of lot of alcohol will even wont give me diarrhea, it gives me very good stools. but on the next day i wont feel hungry and it leaves me with a bloated stomach for a day or two. i stopped alchol for 3 weeks now. i physically feels better and i get hungry more often than previous days.

Last edited:
My nutritionist has also said that there will be days when you eat all the right things and still have problems. All the best to you.

thank you guys.
Jenifer- i still have not been tested for it. i will talk to my Dr regarding that. thank you.
unxmas- i have stopped eating pretty much everything which gives me a bloated stomach i have not had any stomach pains for some time. what are the symptoms that i should worry?
even after a home cocked meal i suffer from a light bloated stomach but its not very bad. the main symptom what i get after eating oily foods are not getting hungry and a bloated stomach. i worry when i get slightly lose stools. on somedays my stools are perfectly normal. most of the time i only go to the toilet once. how concern should i get?
how do i find out which foods trigger symptoms for me??
thanks guys for helping me it means a lot!
after a good night of lot of alcohol will even wont give me diarrhea, it gives me very good stools. but on the next day i wont feel hungry and it leaves me with a bloated stomach for a day or two. i stopped alchol for 3 weeks now. i physically feels better and i get hungry more often than previous days.
The symptoms most people with Crohn's get after eating something that doesn't agree with them are diarrhoea, stomach pain, bloating, gas, possibly vomiting. These may appear immediately after eating, or they may take a couple of days to manifest, which make it hard to know for sure what the problem food is.

Often, when you have active Crohn's, eating can provoke symptoms, no matter what you eat (and Crohn's symptoms will persist even if you fasted, because while food may aggravate symptoms, Crohn's is not due just to food and eating). Unfortunately, you may just have to put up with the symptoms that are brought on by eating, because it's more important to your overall health that you get enough to eat and that you have a varied diet that includes everything you need. If you don't eat enough or don't get all the vitamins, minerals, and everything else you need to keep going, your body won't be able to heal properly and you could actually end up making yourself more ill than if you'd eaten well but brought on bloating.

I know it's counter-intuitive, but I have to eat even when I'm not hungry, when my stomach hurts, when I feel bloated. You have to make yourself eat, and cope with the consequences as best you can. Choose foods that you like that will go down easily. Maybe try resting after a meal to help digestion. You might find liquids go down easier - you can get supplements from a doctor which are like milkshake but which include all the nutrients you need (brands like Ensure and Fortisip) or try drinking milk (if dairy doesn't seem particular bad for you) or fruit juice (instead of fruit).

Unless you are getting diarrhoea so bad that you are getting dehydrated, you shouldn't be that concerned. It sounds like your symptoms are fairly mild. Remember it's not just diet that influences your symptoms, it might be that foods are not triggering your symptoms at all - you need medications too. And unfortunately, with Crohn's sometimes it's just not possible to be symptom-free.

As I said in my earlier post, you can work out which - if any - foods are triggering your symptoms through trial and error. It takes a while and it can get confusing. But it seems you may already have identified alcohol as a trigger (which is great, because giving it up is going to help your health in other ways too!), and you can test other foods in the same way.

You might start with the types of food that most often cause people with Crohn's to feel worse - dairy products (lactose), high fibre foods, foods that are very rich, some people find gluten a problem. For example, try a lactose free diet for a couple of weeks, if you feel significantly better after this time, it's more likely that lactose is a problem for you. Of course it could also be that the improvement in symptoms was a coincidence, so if you're not sure, try giving it up for longer to check that the improvements continue, or test it by eating some dairy products for several days and see if your symptoms worsen again. Or if you go on a lactose-free diet for a couple of weeks and notice no difference or you feel worse, you know that lactose probably isn't an issue and you can start eating it again.

You mentioned lack of appetite has been a problem, so try eating high calorie foods so that you can take in enough calories without having to eat as large a volume of food. Try eating several snack-sized meals a day rather than three big meals, as this will likely be easier on your stomach. Maybe avoid very rich, stodgy foods that can fill you up and make you feel more bloated. This could also be a place for you to start.

Some people with Crohn's feel enjoying a particular food is so good that they choose to do so even though they'll get some symptoms worsening for it. Sometimes people feel that the health benefits that come from eating one of their trigger foods make it worth it - for example, some people find fruit and veg are problems for them, but they'd rather get the health benefits that come with eating some.

Don't worry too much! Food's role in Crohn's disease is not the same as a true allergic reaction, where a tiny amount of food can be life-threatening. With Crohn's, the rules are not nearly as well defined. Usually, if, say, fibre causes someone's diarrhoea to worsen, it may well be that they can eat fibre without it worsening, as long as they only eat a fairly small amount each day. If you do eat the wrong thing, it's not going to do you much harm.

If you're still getting symptoms that are worse than you feel you can tolerate, make sure you see your doctor and ask about changing medication. Diet is not the main thing causing your symptoms. Diet can often influence Crohn's symptoms, but it's just one of many factors. You do not have to work out everything for yourself - doctors should be guiding you through all your treatment options.

thank you unxman for providing all the details. i am now working on my diet. which is really frustrating to know that i have to stay away from certain foods which i used to eat a lot. hoping some one will find a cure for this very soon!
do you guys even get a flare if you even eat very little of fried food?

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
No kolitha. One of the only things found in some foods and products that has been linked to possibly causing flares is an additive called Carrageenan (not enough research has been done to know how much is actually needed to cause a flare or increase symptoms). Fried foods can definitely increase symptoms during an active flare though so its best to avoid it.

Jeniffre - but i get a bloated stomach and i feel uncomfortable after eating oily food, may develop slight pains in my abdominal and will have lose stools when i go to the toilet and i do get a bitter taste in my mouth as well. i haven't had any fried food in 7 months now so i cant actuyl say how it will react to me.
now it bothers me wether am i actually having Crohn's or my Dr has mistakenly treating me for Crohn's. its just more frustrating to think of this.