• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Help my mother.

My mother is 62, I am 27 and have been so wrapped up in m own life, I didn't pay attention to what was really going on in my mom's. She got some of her small intestines removed. I am not sure why, but most of it is gone. When she told me this years ago, I didn't think too much of it(even though she had gotten really sick afterwards due to something coming undone i believe) because I always thought hospitals and doctors knew whats best. Well years have passed I've grown up, A LOT, and now she has been complaining about losing weight, and headaches, depression, hair loss, etc..So, i'm guessing by putting 2 and 2 together..she's not getting her fuel. I have researched all night, and basically need to start with someone who can guide her and let her know how serious it is to follow a good diet for the rest of her life. I want her to absorb nutrients as if she had all of her small intestines. Are b12 shots good for her? Are there organic super foods out there? Is malnutrition her problem? CAN YOU HELP? Please let me know either way. Thank you for your time.

I think it's wonderful that you'd like to help your mom. Diet is important, but everyone's body chemistry is so different. There's no "one size fits all" solution.

Vitamin b12 shots can be helpful, but again, everyone's different. There are diets which really seem to really help some, but many who suffer from digestive disorders are also sensitive/allergic to a number of different types of foods, and changing their diet can actually be dangerous.

To provide a simple example, most people with healthy digestive systems benefit from a high fiber diet, but fiber is harder to digest, can can even cause severe pain and medical complications for those suffering with certain types of digestive disorders.

If your mom is not absorbing enough nutrients and calories from her food, there's several different types of liquid supplements, such as "Ensure" and "Eternal Nutrition" which may help, but again, not everyone's systems can tolerate the high carbohydrate and sugar content in these supplements either.

If you really want to help your mom, I would recommend you start by spending some time asking questions and listening to her. Ask about her symptoms, medical treatment, and what types of foods cause problems or pain, and then you can start isolating and eliminating those foods.

There's also almost nothing more important, or beneficial to both her mental and physical health than providing her with your support by being there for her, and even functioning as a sounding board. Just having someone who shows they truly care, and who honestly wants to understand what she's going through and can empathize, makes all the difference in the world. that's the type of help she's in the most need of, and that you can best provide.

I wish you and your mom all the best!

Yeah I agree with ya noy, about the ensure drinks. She should start with like maybe not even a whole one, like a half. There's a ton of women multivitamin supplements, so you could look into that too. I don't really get much nutrition because of my extremely limited diet, because of that when I tried to drink nutritional drinks like that, lactose free of course, I got sick because my body didn't know what to do with all the nutrition because it doesn't get much, so it rejects it. the clear ensure drinks, in my opinion, are more tolerable. Keep a list of the things your mom can and cannot eat, it will be very helpful im the future. I wish you guys the best. God bless . Xx

afidz

Super Moderator
Hello and welcome to the forum!
First thing, I didn't see what disease she has. If you said it I apologize. But knowing what disease she has would change advice given.

If she is missing a lot of her small intestines then she would have problems absorbing nutrients, so there is a possibilty of malnutrition. The best thing to do is have her blood levels checked to see what she is lacking. B12 shots are often used amoung IBD sufferers because they have a problem absorbing it through their intestines. I found some information on the function of the small intestines, this might help you better understand whats going on with your mother so you can find ways to help her. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Small_intestine
The best thing you can do is convince her to start seeing a GI doctor, or if nothing else, regular visits with he primary. I hope you find answers soon and your mother starts feeling better.
As for supporting her, don't panic, and try to be understanding, as I am sure you already are. IBD's are very hard to deal with and even harder to talk about. I am sure you are already being a great help to her. There is always someone on here to answer your questions or just lend an ear (in this case, our eyes really :) )Also, tell your mother about this site, maybe there is something we can help her with