• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Help! Nausea

Last night I became extremely dizzy/nauseous and had to stop what I was doing and find food. I ate and felt somewhat better, but not all better.

Now I woke up this morning and I am still pretty nauseous. What do I/can I do? I think the Flagyl is what's doing this. Is there anything OTC I can take or something I can do to help? I have a really important weekend planned and I don't want to have to cancel. Do you guys have any tips?

I am not really sure for over the counter meds. Maybe you can call your doctor and they can call the pharmacy for you to prescribe some zofran or some other nausea med.

Flagyl is a great drug---it stopped my rectal bleeding that landed me in the ER, BUT oh the nausea and dizziness it gave me. For me even taking it with food didn't help. I was only on it for a couple of days before I got to the GI who replaced it with Cipro.

Flagyl always made me crazy nauseous too. My Dr. prescribed zofran which really helped. I also drank ginger ale like is was going out of style : ) Hope you find enough relief to enjoy your weekend!

ameslouise

Yep, I would suspect the Flagyl too.

Try ginger pills, or even real ginger. I like crystalized ginger, too.

Hope you can get thru your weekend okay!

- Amy

AndiGirl

Your Story Forum Monitor
I third that. I get very sick from Flagyl. I learned to have Zofran handy when I need to take Flagyl. Flagyl works really well for me, but it raises cane with my intestines.

I am having the same nausea and dizziness from Flagyl...but I am also having bad D too! I never really had much D during the last 5 years of life w/ Crohn's though..... any ideas? Anyone else get D from Flagyl????

Yep, definitely have the nausea and dizziness from Flagyl. I would ask your doctor if you could get a prescription for Metoclopramide. It works wonders and is slightly icky tasting but it is what prevents me from vomiting all the time!

Definitely try ginger. Either Ginger Altoids, ginger chews, or ginger crystals. Anything you can find with the highest concentrate of ginger in it. I always keep ginger Altoids with me and they work great!

Hope you find a solution quickly!

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
I haven't been on Flagyl yet myself, but I have to second the suggestions about ginger and Zofran for nausea. I personally like ginger tea, that always goes down really well.

AndiGirl

Your Story Forum Monitor
I am having the same nausea and dizziness from Flagyl...but I am also having bad D too! I never really had much D during the last 5 years of life w/ Crohn's though..... any ideas? Anyone else get D from Flagyl????
I do the same thing when I'm on it. It's almost as if my whole digestive tract is cursing me and saying, "Up yours!" I don't mean to sound crude, but my tummy and digestion reacts so violently from it. After the horrible effects, I can feel good for a long time. I guess it's worth the discomfort.

Well the lady I saw wasn't in yesterday, so I got to play telephone with her assistant. I'd tell the assistant something, she'd write it down, call the ARNP, ARNP would tell her what to do, she would call me and tell me the plan.

I specifically asked about Zofran since you guys seemed to be saying it worked in this situation, but she prescribed me Phenergan. I didn't get it until the end of the day yesterday, but I've taken it three times now and it doesn't seem to be doing much.

By the way thank you all sooooo much for your suggestions. I really appreciate it.

I tried some ginger snaps (don't like the taste) and now I'm drinking some ginger tea. I didn't have it in me to look for any of the other things.

My D is still pretty terrible (hasn't changed at all). I wouldn't blame the Flagyl for it but I also feel like how can it really be helping if my symptoms are exactly the same as always.

AndiGirl

Your Story Forum Monitor
Bummer! Phenergan works well for me too, but it makes me way too sleepy. Zofran in my opinion works faster, and you don't get drowsy from it. Hopefully the nausea will be short lived. Nausea has to be the nastiest feeling.

Cat-a-Tonic

Super Moderator
I haven't tried Phenergan, but that sucks that it isn't working. I've tried Zofran and Compazine for my nausea. When I first became ill they gave me the compazine, and it was useless. It didn't quell my nausea, and the side effects were awful. It made me feel really dizzy, not like I was going to pass out but like the world was spinning and I needed to hold onto something or I was going to fall off! And then it caused me to feel like I couldn't breathe, so I threw the rest of my compazine in the garbage. After that I tried Zofran, and not only does it work well for my nausea, but also I haven't experienced any side effects from it aside from some mild constipation (which is fine by me since one of my main symptoms is diarrhea!). I think most doctors don't like to prescribe Zofran first is because it is a little more expensive than other anti-nausea meds, even in the generic form. But if your insurance covers generics, it shouldn't be a problem.

When I first became ill they gave me the compazine, and it was useless. It didn't quell my nausea, and the side effects were awful. It made me feel really dizzy, not like I was going to pass out but like the world was spinning and I needed to hold onto something or I was going to fall off!
I'm functional, which I wasn't really yesterday, so I guess it's doing more than nothing? But I still just want to lay in bed and sleep this off. I'm still really dizzy and like I could start vomiting at any moment.

I would be so pissed if my meds made me feel that way. I feel that way enough already! Ack. D:

Ok. Whew. Talked to the MA again. She was talking about how they could switch me to Vancomycin but my insurance probably wouldn't cover it. I was like, "Can't we try a different anti-nausea first?" And she said well nothing will work if the Phenergan didn't work. Then she talked to a doc and he said I can cut the Flagyl in half and it should still work, and they are calling in Zofran (which I didn't ask for this time) for me. So hopefully SOMETHING will make a difference for me. Fingers crossed.